Sign in to follow this  

Chain Slider

Okay, I bought a new chain slider from UFO... the holes are too big for the bolts, and there is a huge gap at one point between the swingarm and slider, about midway between the top two bolts. Anyone had this and any suggestions? Washers I assume will be the fix... or is this defective? Should I grind a flat bottom onto the chain slider to prevent swingarm wear?

Okay, I bought a new chain slider from UFO... the holes are too big for the bolts, and there is a huge gap at one point between the swingarm and slider, about midway between the top two bolts. Anyone had this and any suggestions? Washers I assume will be the fix... or is this defective? Should I grind a flat bottom onto the chain slider to prevent swingarm wear?

I run UFO chain buffers all the time. They fit perfect. You must have the wrong one. As far as the holes being "too big", you do have the 4 large stepped washers that the small phillips screws go through right?

Those sound very nice, but they did not come with my bike. it has allen head screws but no washers. Although I intend to buy some tapered washers tonight!!! Mine is a 2005 YZF... they have "chain slider issues"

Those sound very nice, but they did not come with my bike. it has allen head screws but no washers. Although I intend to buy some tapered washers tonight!!! Mine is a 2005 YZF... they have "chain slider issues"

OK, disreguard my post. Sounds like Yamaha updated a perfectly good working chain slider, to one that "doesn't quite work so well"

The sliders have been the same since '97 or so. The one in the write up is my '03, which is exactly the same as an '05. For whatever reason, Yamaha has it set up to be free to slip fore and aft slightly while held in place on the swing arm. The trouble starts when dirt or sand gets under the slider and starts sanding away at the top of the swing arm. The bottom side doesn't get this much at all, probably because the chain doesn't lay directly on it at any time. Anyway, you can be rid of the issue by using my method, of by popping the nearly $100 for a Designworks hard nylon slider, which bolts in a fixed location, and doesn't slide around. Other guys have bent the washers so that they clamp the slider in place, lined it with foam. or just glued it down. IMO, these last 3 methods don't hold up that well, or accelerate the wear on the slider itself.

gray,

HA HA HA!!! you crack me up.

accelerate wear????

HA HA HA!!!

i'll take a pic of a chain slider that has been siliconed (glued) down for almost 5 years now and doesn't look any worse than it did after the first ride. as in, still original 2001 oem.

as a matter of fact, i talked with the top test rider for yamaha on this very subject back in 02 and was told it was "better" if it slid than was stationary. and i laughed at that response as well.

The remark about accelerated wear is in reference to the method of gluing foam under the slider, which raises the slider farther into contact with the chain, and accelerates wear on it because of that.

Gluing it down works, but the glue sometimes lets go, depending on what's used, and requires being done over. Plus, whatever logic was behind the idea of allowing the freedom of movement that exists in the stock setup, gluing the slider in place defeats it, whereas installing a wearplate does not.

The sliders have been the same since '97 or so. The one in the write up is mt '03, which is exactly the same as an '05. For whatever reason, Yamaha has it set up to be free to slip fore and aft slightly while held in place on the swing arm. The trouble starts when dirt or sand gets under the slider and starts sanding away at the top of the swing arm. The bottom side doesn't get this much at all, probably because the chain doesn't lay directly on it at any time. Anyway, you can be rid of the issue by using my method, of by popping the nearly $100 for a Designworks hard nylon slider, which bolts in a fixed location, and doesn't slide around. Other guys have bent the washers so that they clamp the slider in place, lined it with foam. or just glued it down. IMO, these last 3 methods don't hold up that well, or accelerate the wear on the slider itself.

So the 4 funky dished washers from the older YZF's won't work on the newer bikes? Are the holes in a different location also?

The washers for the '03 and '05 are dished, but I don't know in the first place what older bikes you're referring to. The idea is the same as using a shouldered bolt, like the cam cover bolts, that will tighten down against a solid base to retain their torque without exceeding a pre-determined level of clamping force on the part being held down. In the case of the slider, it's being allowed to move over the length of the slotted holes in it. On the 1997 YZ250, they did use shouldered allens, but went to the current dished washer/round head screw setup in 1999, probably to lower the profile of the bolts, or because it cost less, or both.

The washers for the '03 and '05 are dished, but I don't know in the first place what older bikes you're referring to. The idea is the same as using a shouldered bolt, like the cam cover bolts, that will tighten down against a solid base to retain their torque without exceeding a pre-determined level of clamping force on the part being held down. In the case of the slider, it's being allowed to move over the length of the slotted holes in it. On the 1997 YZ250, they did use shouldered allens, but went to the current dished washer/round head screw setup in 1999, probably to lower the profile of the bolts, or because it cost less, or both.

OK, I did some reasearch on this whole issue. Time to put this issue to bed. '01-'04's use the same swingarm buffer, and mounting hardware. '01-04's use small allen bolts with large dished washers. In '05 they changed the slider to one that has much smaller holes in it. The 05's use a stepped shouldered bolt, and NO washers. The UFO aftermarket slider will NOT fit an '05 (probably not the '06's either) In the aftermarket book I reasearched, UFO claims chain buffer fitment from '01 to '05, this is probably why this whole non-fit problem surfaced. The '05's have a different chain buffer. If all the holes line up properly, one might be able to use the '04 and earlier mounting hardware, or simply get the correct '05 factory Yamaha chain buffer.

OK, I did some reasearch on this whole issue. Time to put this issue to bed. In '05 they changed the slider to one that has much smaller holes in it. The 05's use a stepped shouldered bolt, and NO washers.
Look at that. They went back to the 1998 layout. So then, the washers would be unnecessary, but you will need a slider that actually fits. The wear plate will still work, though.