DRZ400E Street legal in NY?

Hi,

I am trying to find out if you can make a DRZ400E street legal in NY. If not I'll have to go with the 400s.

Thanks!

You could always buy an E and put a dualsport kit on it.

Hi,

I am trying to find out if you can make a DRZ400E street legal in NY. If not I'll have to go with the 400s.

Thanks!

Go with the "S" Alot less hassel to remove weight and get more HP than trying to street legal a "E". If you can even do it.

Really? ok. I've heard it's cheaper to street legalize and E than to get an S ready for dirt.

I was told that if the bike was not origianlly sold with a street legal title it can not be converted to dual sport. The only way around it is to regester the bike in another state and then transfere it into NY. For me that was too much hassle so I just bought the S. Took me about a year before I found a good deal on a used '02.

I was told that if the bike was not origianlly sold with a street legal title it can not be converted to dual sport. The only way around it is to regester the bike in another state and then transfere it into NY. For me that was too much hassle so I just bought the S. Took me about a year before I found a good deal on a used '02.

exactly. before i bought my S i just wanted a dirtbike. the NYS DMV is really strict. i think you can do it with the KTMs though, their title don't say "for offroad use only". get the S and make it barely legal like i did.http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b167/chenry2879/IMG_3726.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b167/chenry2879/madmax2.jpg

Good enough. The S it is! Thanks guys!

Hi,

Thanks!

Nope...I just went through this this summer and NY has offroad vin numbers blacklisted in the DMV computer system now. Get the S and make it lighter...It's not that hard to do.

Here is the deal No 400E will go thru unless you know someone at your local DMV.

Blacklisted Vin #'s are not correct, whats printed on the bill of sale is, My bud did get it to go thru by basically forging the Bill of sale and driving 400 miles to the smallest DMV center in the state.

Our good old state will allow 2 stroke KTM's or Husky's or any of the Euro Bikes to go thru because their Bill of sale and title has nothing listed about OFF Road Only as I believe you can register those in most places of Europe as Street Legal....

Here is the deal No 400E will go thru unless you know someone at your local DMV.

Blacklisted Vin #'s are not correct, whats printed on the bill of sale is, My bud did get it to go thru by basically forging the Bill of sale and driving 400 miles to the smallest DMV center in the state.

Our good old state will allow 2 stroke KTM's or Husky's or any of the Euro Bikes to go thru because their Bill of sale and title has nothing listed about OFF Road Only as I believe you can register those in most places of Europe as Street Legal....

Your buddy was lucky...The information I stated above was from the mouth of the guy that is in charge of all homemade conversions...I spent hours on the phone with DMV officals this summer trying to plate my KX. Bottom line was if the title(CEO) said for competition or offroad use there is no way you can get a street plate for it. He also said that by the end of next year the computers will be updated with offroad VIN codes that will flag by VIN # if someone attempts to sneak it through. He also stated that any plate the state issues can be revolked. I'm sure sneaking a bike through is still possible but if I'm going to spend 5 grand on it I'd rather be sure about it by getting the S and sheading some weight.

You definitly can, my friend had one. All you need to do is add an dual sport kit and get a letter from an authorized repair shop to say it was modified to be street legal. I am selling a sick drz400s on ebay check it out, type drz400s in the search, its all black with a excel rim and street tire package

That still does not change the bill of sale Off road use only printed all over it...I did hear of the change in computer program to on the black list vin # BUT its not on yet and who Knows with NYS on their UPGRADES

Just My 2 cents