Sign in to follow this  

Do I need aftermarket exhaust?

At what point might I need to consider an aftermarket exhaust system? Say I want to 3x3 my airbox and re-jet my stock Mikuni (or maybe even go FCR), then go with a hotcams intake, then eventually big bore 435. At what point would it really be in my best interest to upgrade to a more free flowing exhaust system, and are there any "hi-flow" exhausts out there that are as quiet as the stocker? I really like the stealthy quietness of the stock system, and I don't have issue with the weight of the stock system....heck I'm pushing 235 myself. If I wanna lose weight from the bike I'd better look at losing weight from myself first. Cheaper for sure. :banghead:

after the hotcam, before the fcr, before the big bore. I did the 3x3, dynojet, & hotcam and found a big difference. Then I drilled out the outlet and found no difference but noise (not loud but nice). I installed a full system and the difference was dramatic.

A friend did the 3x3, dynojet, and system (but not cam) and the difference was about the same as mine before the pipe. (total cost in Canadian $: mine before pipe= 300, his for the same power=800. I guess that's confusing but, in summary, the pipe will not make a big difference until you're pushing a lot more air through. the weight saving is only about 5 lbs so just skip lunch and save yourself a few hundred $ until you need the flow. The dyno charts don't show a big difference in power unless the system in very open (i.e. loud). The quiet cores are very restrictive and most actually make less peak power than the stock system but show gains in throttle response and mid-range - and those are the more important factors in getting through the woods. By the way, go with both hotcams, the intake alone isnt enough.

In this order,,,FCR,,,,pipe,,,,hot cam,,,,,big bore,,,,stroker crank,,,

I stand corrected-actually I'm sitting-whatever, get them all at once and save yourself the doubt and anxiety.

You need to ask yourself a question... Do I want my bike to sound badass or not? :banghead:

But the sound I love is the gentle whistling sound of an FCR revving :banghead:

I had to get the after market exhaust. I hated the bike sounding like a sewing machine. :banghead::banghead:

Yes! But which exhaust offers some nice performance gains while keeping the noise at a resonable level?

after the hotcam, before the fcr, before the big bore. I did the 3x3, dynojet, & hotcam and found a big difference. Then I drilled out the outlet and found no difference but noise (not loud but nice). I installed a full system and the difference was dramatic.

A friend did the 3x3, dynojet, and system (but not cam) and the difference was about the same as mine before the pipe. (total cost in Canadian $: mine before pipe= 300, his for the same power=800. I guess that's confusing but, in summary, the pipe will not make a big difference until you're pushing a lot more air through. the weight saving is only about 5 lbs so just skip lunch and save yourself a few hundred $ until you need the flow. The dyno charts don't show a big difference in power unless the system in very open (i.e. loud). The quiet cores are very restrictive and most actually make less peak power than the stock system but show gains in throttle response and mid-range - and those are the more important factors in getting through the woods. By the way, go with both hotcams, the intake alone isnt enough.

question:

Do the cam changes affect reliability?

Also, fcr? explain for an SM noob please?

question:

Do the cam changes affect reliability?

Also, fcr? explain for an SM noob please?

Don't think the cams will affect reliability. The higher compression gasket and a big bore may somewhat shorten the life span. But not noticibly so.

FCR is the carb that came on the E model. Better twist the throttle and go performance then the Mikuni carb that comes standard on the S and SM.

The stock one, but with a decent header i.e. FMF etc.

Neil.

:banghead::banghead::lol:

I wish you could get a carbon fiber skin to cover the stock can. Then if you just replaced the header with a stainless one it would look and sound really good!