Weight Of A 2 And 4 Stroke

Has anyone actually put there 4stroke on a scale?

Everyone always says that a 4 stroke is so much heavier than a 2 Smoke

well the manuf says one is 220 and the 2 smoke is 213 I cant see that as being that much of a difference?

I will say that when myself and my buddy go over a jump (him being on a 2 stroke 250) at the same speed he will go farther so this leads me to belive that a 2 stroke is much lighter :banghead::banghead::lol:

Has anyone actually put there 4stroke on a scale?

Everyone always says that a 4 stroke is so much heavier than a 2 Smoke

well the manuf says one is 220 and the 2 smoke is 213 I cant see that as being that much of a difference?

Which four stroke? Which two stroke? It all depends.

In the old days it was a large weight difference...today much less so.

And armchair spec comparisons are also misleading as bikes can "feel" lighter or heavier depending on how they carry their weight, while magazine "advertising" weights can vary from real wet numbers!

Part of the issue today is that "comparable" bikes are often "incomparable" sizes...450's vs 250's and 250's vs. 125s. that have inherent differences, and each with pros and cons that also make things interesting in actual competition. :banghead:

Ok Ok a yz450 vs a yz250 smoker.

both the 2005 models

and not the weight from the spec sheet on the web site

The weight is also more noticeable on the 4-stroke. There is all the moving valvetrain components on the top of the motor. The weight and gyroscopic effect of those components makes the perceived weight difference much more dramatic than the actual scale will tell you.

i wish i had a scale just to know

Oh also with both bikes having a full tank of gas too

www.yamaha-motor.com lists the dry weight of the 06 yz250 at 211lb and the yz450f at 220lb. You have to add rad. fluid, and gas and oils, whihc may add a couple more lbs at most, and then consider the top heavy feel of the 4 stroke with it's higher center of gravity and the bigger piston gyro effect. I have ridden them back to back and now own a yz250, and I agree it seems like a lot more than 9 pounds. But I have not seen them on a scale ready to ride. I'd be curious how it compares with equal amount of gas. I rode an 04 crf450 for 2 years before this and it seems more like 20 lbs on the bike.
yamaha lists the dry weight of the 06 yz250 at 211lb and the yz450f at 220lb.

while mfrs are known liars, i suspect that the 9 lb difference is probably pretty close.

that's a bigger difference than it sounds like tho, especially in the placement of the weight. But i have 2 strokes, an 02 ktm 300 and an 04 ktm250. the 04 engine is about 8 lbs lighter, and it makes an incredible difference in the flickability of the bike and the willingness to make directional changes.

Note: this post now contains absolutely zero irreverent humor. persons with no sense of humor may read this post with safety. :banghead:

www.yamaha-motor.com lists the dry weight of the 06 yz250 at 211lb and the yz450f at 220lb. You have to add rad. fluid, and gas and oils, whihc may add a couple more lbs at most

Gas alone weighs 6 pounds/gallon. Figure a 2 gallon tank, that adds 12 pounds to the bike...a little more than a 'couple lbs at most' :banghead: And that's just gas - not oil/rad fluid/etc...

I put my WR426 on the scale wet without fuel and it came in at 268 lbs.

I also put my 04' 300 EXC on the scale wet without fuel and it came in at 227 lbs.

Both bikes set up the same way with hand guards, radiator guards, skid plate and a pipe guard on the 300.

41 lbs. is HUGE and trust me you feel it. My buddy put his 450 EXC on the scale the same way and it came in at 256 lbs. Still feels way heavier than my 300.

well lets say 220+12+7+2=241

thats bike gas rad fluid oil

All i know is that my 500AFT2 is much lighter then my YZ450!

theres not much difference in the newer bikes

ride a yz250 smoker then a yz450 both 05 models and you can tell easliy which is heavier quick

i love my 450 dont get me wrong but

How much is much? 3-5-7 pounds? Big difference in weight between my 2 bikes without a doubt. :banghead:

I put my WR426 on the scale wet without fuel and it came in at 268 lbs.

I also put my 04' 300 EXC on the scale wet without fuel and it came in at 227 lbs.

That is a very good example and pretty much sums it up.

I will tell you my experience with my buddy's old bike, a 2000 YZ426 and my KTM 380 EXC. We weighed both on a scale, both were a few pounds of each other, (almost 250lbs) both bikes were full of liquids. While they were fairly close weight wise, mine felt lighter. I think it had to do with how the weight is carried on the bike, the YZ 426 felt very top heavy and i think the bike was a little wider. Now he has a 2002 CRF 450, and it feels a lot better and lighter than the YZ.

All i know is that my 500AFT2 is much lighter then my YZ450!
My '94 CR500 ("BFH") was heavier than my YZ450 by about 8-10 pounds. Have you weighed it. or does it just feel like it because of the steering geometry and the (presumably) lower CG?

______

While we're on the subject of 2 vs. 4 in the weight department, let's compare them inch for inch, just for fun. The '05 YZ250 weighs 211 dry. The '05 YZ250F weighs 206, with 5 valves, two cams, a balancer shaft, and a steel frame.

Hey guys when I said a "couple pounds at most" I meant the 9 lb difference between the 2. Not total weight gain with fluids. I was assuming the motor oil/gear oil on the 450 is more than the gear oil of the yz250, and maybe the radiators are a little bigger, I'm not sure. I know the oils, fluids and gas weigh more than a couple pounds. I just did not make it clear what I was saying.

Hey guys when I said a "couple pounds at most" I meant the 9 lb difference between the 2. Not total weight gain with fluids. I was assuming the motor oil/gear oil on the 450 is more than the gear oil of the yz250, and maybe the radiators are a little bigger, I'm not sure. I know the oils, fluids and gas weigh more than a couple pounds. I just did not make it clear what I was saying.

Oh, gotcha :banghead:

The weight difference between a 2 stoke and a 4 stroke might not be much, but the 2 strokes FEEL extremely light. Can't wait until they get an RFS to feel as light as a 2 stroke.