3x3 needle questions

I have an 2004 400S with no engine or pipe mods (just the usual armor, seat, handguards, BD tail, lights) and I am wanting toi do the 3x3 mod. I ordered the DJ kit from Baja and mistakingly ordered a 145 main/25 pilot when I read it should be a 140. Do I really need to reorder the 140 or can I make it up with turns of the fuel screw? Either way how do you determine how many turns of the screw?

Thanks!

as far as i know main jet is for wide open throttle. You fuel screw is for adjusting your idle. Depending on you elevation determines what you'll want to run, a 140 is a good starting point. I would try getting a 140 main through other means

Thanks for the info. I am at sea level and will look at local shops for a 140 to start with.

Thanks for the info. I am at sea level and will look at local shops for a 140 to start with.

I went with the 140 and 25 pilot as everyone recommended. At high RPMS it would start to miss/stutter. I went back with the 142.5 main, 25 pilot, and it's running great! My specs are: sea level, DJ kit, 3x3 mod, stock exhaust, Twin Air filter (may make a difference), 3rd clip needle.

Check out the diagram that came with the DJ kit. It shows a good px of the jetting range and effects matrix throughout the throttle position.

I went with the 140 and 25 pilot as everyone recommended. At high RPMS it would start to miss/stutter. I went back with the 142.5 main, 25 pilot, and it's running great! My specs are: sea level, DJ kit, 3x3 mod, stock exhaust, Twin Air filter (may make a difference), 3rd clip needle.

I am at 1000 ft elevation. Would I jet the same as sea level?

I am at 1000 ft elevation. Would I jet the same as sea level?

i'm at 1400ft,05drzsm,full rs3 ex,3x3mod,dj kit for the s model,150mj,25pj,needle at #3pos with shim,twin air filter.it :banghead: rips

i wouldn't mind running a sm needle to see the difference but i'm putting on a fcr carb in the next few days(i hope) :banghead:

Did the 3x3, 140 mj, 25 pj, dj kit for s. All seems good. Is the dj kit needle supposed to fit loose in the stock spacer/washers? Seem the stock one tapered better and the new one is skinny all the way to the point of being loose.

The needle in the DJ kit is thinner.

When you re-assemble the needle and slide, the needle will not hang straight down, it will be at just bit of an angle. Its not an issue once the slide is back in the carb.

the needle is skinnier and it will kinda move around.i find putting the slide in works better if you don't put the plug in till after you get the slide in

Thanks for the info! Did seem kind of odd and don't remember anyone talking about it before. I took it out for some street and highway today and seems much more responsive across the board. Nice airbox echo too.

I went 4th clip slot and 2.75 extended-fuel-screw turns (splitting the 2.5-3 recommended turns). What would make you change ever from the 4th slot to the 3rd?

Going from 4th notch to 3rd (counting down from top of needle) would move the needle down into the jet. Due to the taper of the needle, this causes the mixture to be a bit leaner. I think this adjustment alters the low to mid range.

mickeydee: I was wondering about the 150 mj. I have one and have been thinking of installing it. Do you find it surges at steady heavy throttle (a bit rich)? I have similar setup as you (plus cams) and am wondering if the 150 would work better. (altitude approx 500ft)