Registering a KTM 525exc in New Jersey

I just bought a 2004 525exc from a person in Ohio. The previous owner had a clear Ohio street title and had it registered and insured with a dual sport kit. I just went to my local NJ DMV and they told me that KTM's cannot be registered in NJ. I cannot even get a title for it??? I know other people have done this with KTM's is there a way I could do this somehow?

If it has an Ohio title I don't see why you can't register it here. I do know all the DMVs are on alert because alot of people were sneeking through dirt bikes and getting titles. If you have the Ohio title you should be able to transfer it. Try another DMV or ask to speak with the supervisor. So what if it was a Duke, LC4 or an Adventurer? They are street legal KTMs. You might have to go down to Trenton.

There's a guy in the ECEA that lives in NJ and he was denined registration for a KTM. Think NJ DMV has gotten wise to this situation. The Vin # is coded with a digit that red flags them for registration. Not sure but I think that DMV computors might be on the look out for this now. I had a buddy that had his KX registered and titled in NJ, went to renew at DMV, few days later, was told to return the tags to DMV via mail or have his DL suspended. I'd try a few other DMV's to see what happens...

There's a guy in the ECEA that lives in NJ and he was denined registration for a KTM. Think NJ DMV has gotten wise to this situation. The Vin # is coded with a digit that red flags them for registration. Not sure but I think that DMV computors might be on the look out for this now. QUOTE]

That is correct, Joe. :banghead:

Right now, it all depends on the office that you choose. I would try a smaller one. A friend of mine just got his CRF250R registered and plated in NJ. The guy behind the counter didn't have a clue, he just registered the bike, no questions asked.

How do i get a kx registered, just show up with the title?

I tried 3 different DMVs to register my YZF426. Everyone was hip to the situation. DMV in Trenton sent out memos to all the DMV offices to be on the lookout for people trying to reg. dirt bikes. They showed me the memo but refused to let me take a copy.

This state sucks and that is why I am moving to North Carolina next spring.

Funny, you would think the state would want the money -- there's WAY more money in permitting street registrations than if you just get an off-road plate b/c to street register in most states you have to pay sales tax, which you don't have to pay if you don't street register. In addition, in most states, the annual registration fee is greater than the annual off-road fee. And from a safety point of view, after street registration you still have to pass annual inspection so no issues there.

Skip - Can you really get a plate that easy in PA? I was considering getting one in VT, but if its that easy in PA, I'll try it here.

pa is a PITA,unless you have the mso from a euro bike since they don't state "off road only".other wise a rebuilt title is the only way,did my drz kicker this way,finding some one to inspect it is the hardest part.other wise its just alot of paperwork and waiting.state sent bck papers the first try for like a dollar in sale tax then lost them for 3 mos.finally did it though.bike MUST be legit(full DS kit) to go this route.

Thanks for the replies. I don't plan on getting the bike inspected and fully street legal. I just need a tag a nd registration for some of the enduros. I have a ktm, so it sounds like I should be ok to get a tag in PA.

:banghead: For Sale::; Perfect Condition with CORRECT set up! :banghead:

2004 KTM 450 EXC with current N.J. Title, Registration and 2yr inspection.

Baja Designs Dual Sport kit installed with attention getting horn.

Carb has correct jetting for NO bog and max fuel milage.

Fresh suspension service.

Greased + loctited.

Low hours, one of 4 bikes owned by +50yr slow guy.

$5000. mvmx6@yahoo.com

thanks, MV

I just bought a 2004 525exc from a person in Ohio. The previous owner had a clear Ohio street title and had it registered and insured with a dual sport kit. I just went to my local NJ DMV and they told me that KTM's cannot be registered in NJ. I cannot even get a title for it??? I know other people have done this with KTM's is there a way I could do this somehow?

i sent this thread to my friend who has KTM's and this is what he said.

"""I didn't have a problem when I registered my son's 2005 KTM in August. I also have it insured.

I hope my 06 will go through just as easily (when I get it).

My friend also registered both his KTM 200 earlier in the year.

Never heard that it was a problem. Dave"""

Thanks for the replies, I might try another DMV to see what happens, anyone have a certain DMV to recommend?

All my friends have there KTM's plated in jersey ... 04's and 05's

Funny, you would think the state would want the money -- there's WAY more money in permitting street registrations than if you just get an off-road plate b/c to street register in most states you have to pay sales tax, which you don't have to pay if you don't street register. In addition, in most states, the annual registration fee is greater than the annual off-road fee. And from a safety point of view, after street registration you still have to pass annual inspection so no issues there.

In NJ you pay the sales tax when you buy the bike, if from a dealer, or transfer the title if it has one.. Registering it or not....

All my friends have there KTM's plated in jersey ... 04's and 05's.

If you check out the KTM website you'll see KTM has given in to DEP for the 06 model line, removed head and tail light from all 2 stroke bikes, and from what I heard, altered thier MSO to reflect all the bikes are NOT FOR HIWAY USE now. Looks like HUSKY is the way to go, street legal right off the showroom floor....

Yeah! For now!

Bingo!

Starting January '06 the DMV will have on record that magical # on your VIN.

If it pops up, you're doomed. When I sell my '01, I'm keeping the title and reg. since I'll probably get an '07 WRF. I'll just keep renewing online. Bigger chance to spot it if you go in person, so I'm told.

Show me an LEO smart enough to figure out immediately that the #'s don't match. Hey, same model...same color.....plate matches. Remember, the word "police intelligence" is an oxy-moron. Kinda like jumbo shrimp. :banghead:

I think that process has started now...

I went to another DMV to try and at least get a title for the 525 and when they enter the VIN number into the computer it tells them to contact Trenton. When they Fax the title to trenton it comes back as an "off road only" motorcycle so it cannot be registered or even titled in NJ. I called Tenton and they referred me to the NHTSA web site. They said there is a list of each make and model motorcycle that is street approved for the US. If the bike is not on the list it cannot be registered or titled.

:banghead: For Sale::; Perfect Condition with CORRECT set up! :banghead:

2004 KTM 450 EXC with current N.J. Title, Registration and 2yr inspection.

Baja Designs Dual Sport kit installed with attention getting horn.

Carb has correct jetting for NO bog and max fuel milage.

Fresh suspension service.

Greased + loctited.

Low hours, one of 4 bikes owned by +50yr slow guy.

$5000. mvmx6@yahoo.com

thanks, MV

This bike is your answer. No discounts now.

Kill a quad rider today. :lol: