How do they keep pro bikes so clean?

When the supercross was in salt lake the last time I was able to spend soem quality time in the pits. The mechanics basically have the bike in pieces when it is not ridden.

Any plastic that needs it gets changed at any time. I watched RC's mechanic toss a set of sidepanals that RC used for one lap. The bikes get pressurewashed and dried many times per day.

The mechanics also used silicon spray and/or Maxima SC1 to give the bikes the "shine".

This has been a trick used by myself and numerous other guys I know on the Nat's seen for years. I don't know how 'secret' it is, but if you spray the underside of your front and rear fender with WD-40 before a moto, mud and dirt will not stick to it easily. It keeps the weight down in wet conditions. It also shines the plastic very nicely, giving it that 'wet' look. Just be sure to cover the rotor, then give it a heavy dose :banghead:

I remember Dirt Rider magazine followed Nick Wey's mechanic around when he was with Suzuki for like a couple days but the mechanic said "that everyone thinks that like every almost every single part gets replaced every race, but we just have a big rotation off parts." That wasn't his exact words, but it is close to what he said.

Ohh, yeah. I use Armorall on my bike since my local dealer doesn't carry Maxima SC-1.

I use muddoff. Cheap and it lasts forever (12 parts water to 1 part muddoff). Doesn't let as much mud stick, and shines really good. It also works well on a chain after you lube it, the chain seems to be cleaner and easier to clean after a ride.

I used it for my Senior pics with my bike (Yes, I took cap and gown pics with my bike) and the muddoff is what I used to shine it up. Looked brand new. All the scratches were practally hidden. The photographers couldn't believe it...

-Phill

The way they keep the pro bikes so clean is after every race thaey totally take aprt the bike scrub it oil it and place on new plactics and graphics. If you want more info go find the Dirt rider magazine ... September I think and they give you steps on how to wash the bikes like the pros.

I know they get pressure washed after every race but I have been to a lot of nationals and never seen them needlessly change all the plastic. If they went down and something bent or got badly scratched, sure, it gets changed; but never have I seen them swap it for the hell of it. More than just habit, some pros DEMAND that their bike is taken to the frame (no tank/plastic) and power washed between motos. Honestly though, thats not a horrible request when you consider some racers get their clutches/sprockets changed every moto. Also, if you're looking for an Excellent cleaner try the new Simple Green Powersports Cleaner, the stuff is like magic. It even works to take the black smudges and mess off of colored seats. I got a sample from my sales rep and now I use it on all my toys.

That Maxima SC-1 is the best stuff, it will make a old bike look new again, I use it often and get lots of compliments!

When the supercross was in salt lake the last time I was able to spend soem quality time in the pits. The mechanics basically have the bike in pieces when it is not ridden.

Any plastic that needs it gets changed at any time. I watched RC's mechanic toss a set of sidepanals that RC used for one lap. The bikes get pressurewashed and dried many times per day.

The mechanics also used silicon spray and/or Maxima SC1 to give the bikes the "shine".