GNCC 2-strokes?

I watched a GNCC race on OLN recently and noticed that the majority of the pro's are racing a 2-stroke. I would have thought that a thumper would be better suited for the woods. I don't know why I thought this, just seemed like a good fit with the torque they have.

Why is this? Is it because they're easier to start if you happen to stall the bike in a very technical section or even off the starting line? Maybe it's because you can bore out a smoker to get better torque. But then again you can bore out a thumper also.

I'm just wondering...

They're lighter, more reliable (less parts to break), have a lower center of gravity, easier to start, and most of the GNCC guys are good enough riders that they can use a two-stroke properly and keep up with or beat the 450s.

this topic has been covered in lurid detail several times this year, but essentially, what skinsfan said.

250's are used most of the time because they're lighter, more nimble and have great snap to get up and over obstacles countered on the trail of a GNCC race. With a four-stroke you would have to use a lot of clutch to do the same thing.

yeah say that too doug henry who walked away from his 1 gncc on a stock crf 450 :banghead:

EDIT: ^^^Just read that post. I must be wrong (see below).

I’m probably wrong, but I read a post here once that stated for GNCC races the classes are based on displacement only. Meaning everything in the 250cc class is 250cc or smaller. The 450’s aren’t allowed to compete in the 250 class. If the choice was a 250 smoker or a 250 thumper I would think that majority would choose the thumper.

Let me know if this is completely bogus info.

G

P.S. Watch how much praise you give the 2-strokes, this thread just might get locked. :banghead: (just joking)

yeah say that too doug henry who walked away from his 1 gncc on a stock crf 450 :banghead:

everyone smart agrees that on mx courses, the torque of 450 is helpful. on the real gncc courses (which DH for whatever reason didn't feel like contesting), it was all 2-strokes.

In regards to my previous post I looked up the classes for GNCC and what I wrote doesn't seem to apply to the PRO class. There does seem to be specific classes for 2 and 4-strokes if the races so desires.

See link: http://www.gnccracing.com/rulebook/index.html

I’m probably wrong, but I read a post here once that stated for GNCC races the classes are based on displacement only. Meaning everything in the 250cc class is 250cc or smaller. The 450’s aren’t allowed to compete in the 250 class. If the choice was a 250 smoker or a 250 thumper I would think that majority would choose the thumper.

I hate too say it but i feel 4 stroke is better in the woods also, it might have a 5 pounds weight diadvatage but in the slick stuff you can't beat a 4 stroke....

I hate too say it but i feel 4 stroke is better in the woods also, it might have a 5 pounds weight diadvatage but in the slick stuff you can't beat a 4 stroke....

you might want to mention that to juha, and kurt caselli, and rodney smith, and jenks, and hatch, and hawkins, and hawk, etc......

You have to understand that these guys are at the top of their game and running perfectly set up bikes every race. They are more than capable when it gets slick with their 2 stroke because they gots talent baby!

2 strokes rule!!

You have to understand that these guys are at the top of their game and running perfectly set up bikes every race. They are more than capable when it gets slick with their 2 stroke because they gots talent baby!

actually, i have no talent, but i have no trouble getting traction with a 2-stroke. i do have to run a flywheel weight on the 250sx. i am told people have similar issues with mx 4-strokes being too rev-happy, but i haven't ridden one enough to tell.

i just don't think power is all that important at a gncc race, and useable power is what 4-strokes are best at. in contrast, mx, gp or dezert racing puts more of a premium on power and one sees way more 4-strokes there. gncc and tight enduros are more about handling and cornering and technical obstacles, etc...

mw

5lbs? The last time I looked the weight difference between a KTM450 EX/C 4st and the KTM300EX/C 2st was waaay more than 5lbs. I think it is closer to 25lbs.

well im not talking about orange pumkins now am I..

actually, i have no talent, but i have no trouble getting traction with a 2-stroke. i do have to run a flywheel weight on the 250sx. i am told people have similar issues with mx 4-strokes being too rev-happy, but i haven't ridden one enough to tell.

i just don't think power is all that important at a gncc race, and useable power is what 4-strokes are best at. in contrast, mx, gp or dezert racing puts more of a premium on power and one sees way more 4-strokes there. gncc and tight enduros are more about handling and cornering and technical obstacles, etc...

mw

I'm sure most of those guys are running flywheel weights. The way you talk velo, I'm sure you have more talent than you claim. Tell ya what, who really cares why a lot of them are on 2 strokes, I like my 4 stroker and it likes me.

I hope I can get a different career soon so I won't have to spend all day trying to solve these mysteries. :banghead:

Happy trails,

Garrett

"Two strokes are lighter, more nimble, and pump out loads of useable torque that make them into stellar, easy to manage for three hours in hack, rocks, ruts, and roots machines. The bigger, more volatile thumper needs the guidance of a gronk to manhandle both the weight and ferocity of the bike".....straight outta "two strokes rule" in DB magazine. At 5'7" 145lbs, I totally agree

2 strokes rule!!

Wonder what would happen if you posted that in the Off-Road Forum? :banghead:

:banghead::lol:

Tell ya what, who really cares why a lot of them are on 2 strokes, I like my 4 stroker and it likes me.

excellent point. fwiw, one (1) fast guy (lafferty) does ride a 4-stroke. fred andrews or someone was also on an overbored kx250f. that would probably be a decent bike.

it doesn't really matter what anyone else rides tho. i'd be just as slow on a good 4-stroke as i am on my 2strokes, except possibly in some of the dez stuff. or in the 25 hr gp at starvation ridge. i woulda loved to have been riding a 450 there. or else had some skills. lol.

Wonder what would happen if you posted that in the Off-Road Forum? :banghead:

:busted::banghead:

HAAAA :busted: watch it now! :lol: