GY200 Dual-Sport - JetMoto - Too good to be true?

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be crestfallen if unable to get my bike tagged. ?

Since my first "Certificate of Origin for a Vehicle" (MSO) said "Motorcycle Kit", the DMV wanted a Certified VIN Verification from the State Patrol. So I got a temp tag, made an appointment and showed up a week later for VIN verification. The State Patrol guys were confused as to why I needed a VIN verification, they checked the VIN, liked the bike, got info on JetMoto so they could buy one, and wrote on the verification form "Complete Manufacturers Motorcycle". Which meant it is not a kit, by their standards of frame and engine shipped separately. :ride:

I was dreading the "Special Construction" route of getting it tagged and titled, so I had asked and received a new MSO from JetMoto that did not have the word "Kit" on it.

So yesterday, I got back to the Colorado DMV, and was very close to getting a plate. Since the State Patrol says it is not a kit, I don't need to go through the process of getting a special construction title. However, the MSO had the year as 2005 and the 10th digit of the VIN is a "6" which identifies it as a 2006. DMV says these need to match and I can get a plate. JetMoto is sending me another MSO, and I anticipate getting a Colorado plate next week. ?

It is very disconcerting to purchase a dirt/street bike and not know if you are able to get it licensed for the street. I checked the CO DMV rules and asked questions before purchase. It seemed to me that you can get Colorado tags either through normal route or the special construction route. :applause:

Pullin was able to get his Yamoto tagged in VA, and another one was tagged in TX. Reading other threads here on TT, California sounds like a difficult state to get many dual-sports tagged. Anyone get plates for a china bike in CA?

Eric, how is your NC DMV process going?

I find it scary that the MCOs issued by JetMoto do not name the actual manufacturer of the bike. So, I assume, when you go to motor vehicles and they type JetMoto into Hal, The-All-Knowing-Computer to see if JetMoto is registered with the National Highway Traffic Safety gang (I think they do this) they'll come up with nothing. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/manufacture

JetMoto told me their bikes lights, and other equipment, do not have DOT approval. But if I can get a title out of DMV, I doubt whether the inspection station Nazis will check for DOT imprints on the lenses. Then again ... What if they do???

I haven't been to my State Inspector yet. I'm a little concerned but not too much. Surely, you have people in your state as I have in mine that have custom choppers or motorcycle kits (like a Goliath kit for example) that have legitimate tags and registrations. Also, think of the kit cars that you see occasionally on the roads. Many of them probably don't have a manuf. vin number on them. In NC, they are categorized as "special registration" vehicles and apparently all they have to have is the standard safety equipment to pass. I think I'm going to be OK, but my backup ammunition will be "Well, how do all these guys with custom choppers and kit bikes get THEIRS registered?"

Update, a few more chilly (short) evening rides this week. So much fun.

Thanks

eric

You got that right! Funny (or not) thing is, if you go to New Jerseys motor vehicle services website, trying to get the truth, it makes this sound pretty simple:

To Register a Motorcycle

1. Visit your local MVC Agency with one of the following:

· manufacturer's Certificate of Origin

· a New Jersey or out-of-state title or registration

· if not titled or registered, a notarized statement from the last owner to the purchaser, describing the vehicle and sale price (accepted for non-titled motorcycles only)

2. Provide proof of insurance.

3. Pay required registration fee

Inspection Requirements

During inspection, the following items are checked:

License plates with current decal, current registration, insurance I.D., and current motorcycle driver license

Steering, suspension, and wheel alignment

Handle bars or grip no more than 15 inches higher than the seat or saddle for operator

Horn

Red rear light and reflector

Stop light

Head light

Rear view mirror

Exhaust system

Tires

Seat, hand holds, and foot rests

Adequate brakes (Note: all 1974 and later motorcycles require brakes on front and rear wheels.)

There's no mention of DOT approval for any of these items. Is that something needed to get a MCO that doesn't say "off road use only." In other words, if the China bikes come with MCOs that don't say off road only, does that imply they meet DOT standards? And even if it doesn't, does the state care?

This is my first post on thumpertalk. I have a 2004 Jetmoto. I have gotten it liscensed and insured for street use, in PA. I've had it since April and I am happy with it. THe only problems I've had are the headlight burned out, and a wire was piched by the steering stops causing the fuse to blow. I lost one bolt on the heat shield for the exhaust pipe. I enjoyed reading this forum and hope that you guys have good luck getting your bikes licensed.

This is my first post on thumpertalk. I have a 2004 Jetmoto. I have gotten it liscensed and insured for street use, in PA. I've had it since April and I am happy with it. THe only problems I've had are the headlight burned out, and a wire was piched by the steering stops causing the fuse to blow. I lost one bolt on the heat shield for the exhaust pipe. I enjoyed reading this forum and hope that you guys have good luck getting your bikes licensed.

Hey Roosters, glad to hear you had luck licensing in PA. Please tell us how you went about doing that. Somehow I get the feeling I'm worrying too much. I have four (actually five, if you count the unused 1972 Triumph) street bikes, all registered and plated. I only occasionally get them inspected anyway!

The worst part about this experience (shopping for a low-cost, street-legal enduro) has been the conflicting information spewed by China-bike "dealers" and importers.

As far as quality's concerned, if I can deal with my 1998 India Enfield :applause: I think I can handle a Chinese knock-off.

Fred

DMV Update: Tagged in Colorado :applause:

It was 7 degrees below zero this morning, so the lines were short at the DMV. I went to the same lady who was very thorough before and she scrutinized the paperwork again, said everything was in order and processed the Tag, Title, Registration, and Taxes. $107.75 later and I walked out the door with a plate. :ride:

Only problem I have now is the plate reads "MRS". I asked her for any other plate and they all ended with "MRS". I could've waited a couple of weeks or more and got another plate. Don't know why I'm sweating this, but I just don't like "MRS" (Misses) on my bike. ?

Due to the unusually cold weather here, it'll be a few days before I want to ride again. It is good to finally get the plate though.

ColoRocky ?

Ditto that. I checked with JM and the response was that the 200 is OHV only at this time.

I really l ike the way the Jetmoto looks. Actually it doesn't look much different than a Roketa DB-07A or a half-dozen other late-model (inverted fork, rear disk) differently-branded Chinese dual-purpose 200s. But I wanted to buy a couple for my daughters to begin riding on, both on and off-road. I was afraid to risk buying one of these even though several "dealers" advertise them as being DOT/EPA approved and street-legal.

With Christmas coming fast, I had to act. So I bought two Roketa DB-05s. Roketa insists these, unlike the DB-07A/Jetmoto and others, come with a DOT sticker and will have no problem being licensed. We shall see :applause:

FWIW, I also bought for my 10-year-old another Commie bike: a Monster Elite 125. I uncrated it today and began the assembly, having more fun than I've had in years. I expected "issues" (the thing cost $875 delivered to my door). Sure nuff: the shifter seems to have escaped out the bottom of the shipping carton. Somebody banged it around on the boat, I guess, because the round nameplate on the right side of the engine is cracked. It just screws on and doesn't hold back oil, but I want a new one. It also has a cross-threaded front axle bolt. They use this bolt to fasten the forks to the metal shipping crate. Perhaps that's when it got damaged. I got a better one for 35 cents from the hardware store.

If anybody wants further reports, I'd be glad to file them. Haven't tried starting it yet but it's a cool looking critter: http://buyminibikes.com/showroom2.php

Even if it IS a POS, it beats the hell out of the 4 horsepower Cat minibike I started out on, a POS that I loved even though it came from a Spiegel catalog. Then came the Honda, the Kawasaki, the Yamaha etc.

Hey fellas,

Started up the JetMoto tonight for the first time after a week of sub-freezing nights. (Didn't ride, just like to get her breathing a little every now and then). Cold starts are still a little rough, have to work the throttle for a minute to warm up before she'll idle.

Thunga, where did you purchase the Roketa from (link?). Sounds like the same bike with different branding. Good luck.

I've had a few of you email me directly and let me know that this forum helped you make a decision. Thanks for that feedback. I'm glad that I have been able to provide helpful information. Please also try to post your experiences on this board so others can benefit (or run).

Regards,

Eric

Hey Eric,

Great job documenting your experience with the bike. It took a couple of nights reading to get through the thread and I wasn't surprised to see the skeptic and China basher's post.

What surprised me were the ones that seemed to think your bike and story was not worthy of being in this forum. Yes it didn't cost 6-8k like some Euro D/S bikes but hey, the forum is Dual Sport/Adventure and since your bike can be operated both on and off road, and what you have documented thus far certainly qualifies as an adventure, so yes, your in the right forum.

Who knows, if these things keep growing in popularity TT may make a China Bikes forum.

I have been following the China clones on-line since before they became available in the states and have always felt that the Lifan Group made the best products.

One last thing, and I apologize if this has already been covered and I missed it, but I don't think the only oil filter on your engine is that little screen behind the drain plug. Since your engine is a Honda clone, Honda's have a centrifuge type oil filter on the right side of the engine under the clutch cover that needs to be wiped clean using a rag. For more info do a search on the Honda XR200 forum.

Please keep the reports coming........Karl :applause:

Hey fellas,

Started up the JetMoto tonight for the first time after a week of sub-freezing nights. (Didn't ride, just like to get her breathing a little every now and then). Cold starts are still a little rough, have to work the throttle for a minute to warm up before she'll idle.

Thunga, where did you purchase the Roketa from (link?). Sounds like the same bike with different branding. Good luck.

I've had a few of you email me directly and let me know that this forum helped you make a decision. Thanks for that feedback. I'm glad that I have been able to provide helpful information. Please also try to post your experiences on this board so others can benefit (or run).

Regards,

Eric

Hi Eric,

I'm in New Jersey, where there are no Roketa dealers nearby. Not that these "dealers" keep much, if any, stock on hand. I get the feeling most are just order-takers who know far less about the bikes than do obsessed, would-be buyers (yours truly). So I just called the sales number at the roketa website (roketa.com) and griped that there were no local dealers. I got to buy right from them, but they make you sign a paper that, in essence, gives you dealer status (I think) and makes you promise you won't file a credit card complaint if the bikes come broken :applause: Guess I should have my head examined. Hey! Now that I'm a dealer, I will gladly take orders ...

One last thing, and I apologize if this has already been covered and I missed it, but I don't think the only oil filter on your engine is that little screen behind the drain plug. Since your engine is a Honda clone, Honda's have a centrifuge type oil filter on the right side of the engine under the clutch cover that needs to be wiped clean using a rag. For more info do a search on the Honda XR200 forum.

I mentioned that, but it seemed to be glossed over for some reason. You are correct and I'd bet 1 million to 1 that if these guys remove the right side cover, they will find their oil filters.

Yea, I know the XR200 has one because I ride one. I checked the parts fisch at BikeBandit.com for the CRF230 and sure nuff it's in the same place, in fact it looks identical but I didn't check part numbers.

So Neville1, your million to 1 bet is a good one. :applause:

Eric, if your reading this your Lifan looks to be a combination of old XR200 and new CRF230 technology so your engine should have it too.

Besides, you don't really think that little wire mesh screen alone could filter out all the small micron particals that are circulating around inside your engine.

It will probably be a shocker to you judging by how much you changed and inspected your oil so frequently during the breakin but there is good news.

That filter is designed to trap and hold the particals so that they don't get pumped around in your engine.

I forget what intervals Honda reccomends for cleaning, but I clean mine once a year.....Karl :ride:

Thanks guys. I'll pull the cover off in the spring when I do my next oil change and report the findings. A million to one is a pretty high degree of certainty, so from what you are saying, there are two filtration devices on this engine. Correct? Because the screen on the shifter side is definately one of them.

Thanks again,

Eric

Correctomundo. The little screen is more of "strainer" than a filter. It traps stuff large enough to plug the little oil passages in the engine. The round centrifuge is not relay a filter but it traps smaller particles that would pass through the screen. The engine really doesn't have an "oil filter".

Take a look at the parts breakdown diagram on pullin-gs' china bike thread and then go to www.bikebandit.com and in OEM parts look at the diagram in the oil pump section of the 1995 Honda XR200R. They look the same. So much so, that I would bet they will innerchange (no million to 1 bet)......Karl

P.S. Eric, once you confirm this on your bike pass it on to other China Bike owners. That way engines will not start breaking down and have the China Bashers saying......I TOLD YOU SO!