Sign in to follow this  

GY200 Dual-Sport - JetMoto - Too good to be true?

Steppin up Chinese Dualsporting another notch.......... :bonk:

Check out that wave rotor! :applause:

49.5cc,_2_Stroke_Dirt_Bike_(RF-DB03).jpg

Karlznet, Good find! Nice looking bike... it has dual header pipes, which might indicate an engine larger than 200cc. Do you know who are the US importer(s) of this bike? Interesting!

Eric

Eric, I don't know who imports them. Here is the link if you want to try working back from the Mfg. Runfeng

The spec page says its a 223cc 4-stroke (6-speed), but yea the engine looks more like a XR250 clone. The page may be totally screwed up because it is also listed as a 49cc 2-stroke in the index list.

Eric, I don't know who imports them. Here is the link if you want to try working back from the Mfg. Runfeng

The spec page says its a 223cc 4-stroke (6-speed), but yea the engine looks more like a XR250 clone. The page may be totally screwed up because it is also listed as a 49cc 2-stroke in the index list.

I just sent an email inquiry to China Run Feng about that bike. I REALLY need to get a life :applause:

I'll ask a dumb question:

What's to keep someone from buying one of these "non-registerable / not street legal in California" Chinese bikes and "installing" the Vin plate from a basketcase early 80's Honda XL?

It would be thousands cheaper than rebuilding the basketcase, and the technology seems to be late 80's versus the 82' XL. That would be an improvement?

Strictly hypothetical question.

What's to keep someone from buying one of these "non-registerable / not street legal in California" Chinese bikes and "installing" the Vin plate from a basketcase early 80's Honda XL?
Absolutely nothing! .......unless you happen to worry a lot about going to jail for tampering with a VIN number. :applause:

I have never heard of VIN jail. But I see your point if this was done to mislead someone in the sale/purchase of a bike. What will be the worth of a $900 Chi-bike or a 1980 XL in five years. Probably nada.

They are both "my" bikes. The "Hypothetical Honda" just happens to have gotten a FULL ground up restoration (using the "state of the art" Chinese parts) with a new motor, frame, suspension, etc.... The only thing left are the original grips, really!

Much like MANY people do with their Harleys!!!

REFLEXX :applause:

VIN Jail!....good one :bonk:

Your ground up resto project sounds sweet! :applause:

It wouldn't happen to be a Honda TLR would it?

How about posting some photos?

California Vehicle code.

10752. (a) No person shall, with intent to prejudice, damage,

injure, or defraud, acquire, possess, sell, or offer for sale any

genuine or counterfeit manufacturer's serial or identification number

from or for, or purporting to be from or for, a vehicle or component

part thereof.

(:cry: No person shall, with intent to prejudice, damage, injure, or

defraud, acquire, possess, sell, or offer for sale any genuine or

counterfeit serial or identification number issued by the department,

the Department of the California Highway Patrol, or the vehicle

registration and titling agency of any foreign jurisdiction which is

from or for, or purports to be from or for, a vehicle or component

part thereof.

© Every person convicted of a violation of subdivision (a) or

(:cry: shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison, or in the

county jail for not less than 90 days nor more than one year, and by

a fine of not less than two hundred fifty dollars ($250) nor more

than five thousand dollars ($5,000).

I'll ask a dumb question:

A few months ago, there was a guy from the El Centro, CA area selling a KPX Z-200 enduro on Ebay which was street registered in Cal. I was curious as to how he did this, and he told me that the loophole is that if you ride a street legal bike out of state (out of CA), and the bike becomes inoperable, you can purchase a replacement and bring it back to Cal. I never fully got the exact details of how he did this, but he had the license plate and title of his CA-legal bike to show for it. Perhaps someone here can clarify the CA loophole?

I just sent an email inquiry to China Run Feng about that bike. I REALLY need to get a life
Yea! same here! I got a reply and have included some more photos they sent me. It is a Honda 250 clone and can be difficult to locate on the web due to the folowing explanation.
As you asked the DB03, you are right, it is 250cc engine, you looks very profession in bike! we are purpose on making the wrong specification, because of many factory will copy them, pls kindly understand!
Imagine that, Chinese companies are worrying that their clone will be cloned, go figure! :applause:

Anyway, I was told it is a watercooled, 250cc single, 6-speed. There was also reference to EPA and DOT certification and I was offered a very decent price.

Still waiting on more info about minimum order, shipping FOB to Port of Oakland and an estimated delivery time if I decide to place an order.

e04393d4.jpgIMG_0164.jpg

The side view shows some real detail. Big improvements over what you find on the 200 and minis.

This just may be the real deal!

3aDYsODdHUY3RtQAJbVxxrhxSFREC2G50300.jpg

The photo is still lacking in detail since it has been auto resized but in the original I have, I could swear that the seat is (retro) metalflake blue. How cool would that be?

So if this bike is for real, lets hear it, how much would you be willing to pay for one?......Anyone? :bonk:

If it's $1,500 to $1,800 I'd be in too!

But I'd have many questions. Dealer support, parts compatibility, etc...

If it's a copy of a late 80's XR/XL. Then it might be safer to find a used (real) one for that money. At least you know they are bulletproof and parts sources are many.

REFLEXX

"you looks very profession in bike! we are purpose on making the wrong specification, because of many factory will copy them, pls kindly understand!"

I truly intended to write something witty about that very fine example of Engrish. But I am left virtually speechless. :applause: I will say this: Even if the bike sucks, the owner's manual will be worth the price.

First off i would like to thank ikneric and pullin for documenting their experiences with the Chinese bikes. I have been looking into buying a dual sport for a while now, and being only 17 with a low hour job i find it hard to pick a bike in my price range. I have been following the two threads for a while now. Things seem to be at a halt... is this because everyone has put their bikes away for winter? Where i live in So. Cal. it hardly ever gets cold and i barely find my self putting on a jacket.

thanks again

-Poohphish

First off i would like to thank ikneric and pullin for documenting their experiences with the Chinese bikes. I have been looking into buying a dual sport for a while now, and being only 17 with a low hour job i find it hard to pick a bike in my price range. I have been following the two threads for a while now. Things seem to be at a halt... is this because everyone has put their bikes away for winter? Where i live in So. Cal. it hardly ever gets cold and i barely find my self putting on a jacket.

thanks again

-Poohphish

Ouch. It's 28 outside in NJ tonite.

All I can say is the China dual-purpose 200s I bought, DB-05s from Roketa, are built OK. But you'd better have a good set of tools, including a bike lift, and a fair amount of experience working on motorcycles. They're not exactly plug and play. But now that the carbs seem to be adjusted, mine start better and run well.

It might be the frame design (front-to-rear weight ratio) or heft of the front forks on mine, or weakness of the engines, but I continue to be unhappy with their boringly planted front-ends. Others, riding DB-07 type GY200s are not reporting this, but those bike are _ supposedly _ tougher to get licensed since many do not come with EPA/DOT labels.

Maybe that's the problem. That little label ("This vehicle conforms to all blah, blah, blah") is holding down the front ends! :applause: I like dirt bikes, even dual-purpose ones, that feel spirited and willing to lift their front wheels over water, logs, etc.

I just rode my JetMoto for the first time! Unfortunately it's dark and cold and I'm supposed to be watching the baby so I only went around the block.

I bought it on Ebay in the beginning of December. They have them listed for $1200 + shipping but if you look at the auction there's a "Submit best offer" link. Mine ended up being $1168 including home delivery. The first time I submitted the best offer they rejected it but I tried again two months later and they took it. There's probably some variance it what they will accept depending on supply and demand.

I got the bike in less than a week. Unfortunately it was missing the shift lever, kick-stand spring and the fender was cracked. I contacted JetMoto via email and they said to email a picture of the fender and they would send the parts. Unfortunately after two weeks I never received them. Over the course of the following 4 weeks I emailed them about 7 times and spoke to Dimitri on the phone 3 times in addition to numerous phone messages. I was promised the items would ship the next day 3 times but the parts never went out. Six weeks after I got the bike I threatened to reverse the credit card charges - that got an immediate response and a tracking number for the package within 4 hours. I had the parts 3 days later.

I'm not sure what happened on JetMoto's side. I was only dealing with Dimitri until the last email. I'm hoping he was just completely screwing up for four weeks straight and this experience doesn't represent future JetMoto interactions. My gut feeling is that the whole bad experience was a fluke.

I'm pretty happy with the bike so far - it's what I expected. I had seen a KPX in town and figured the JetMoto would be pretty similar.

If I weren't so cheap I think the Lifan would be the bike to get. In spite of the claims of many of the other retailers, Lifan appears to be the only EPA/DOT approved GY200-series bike. I believe as part of the DOT registration they have to have a recall mechanism in place in case there are major safety issues. Also Lifan has a large facility in the US for distribution which means they may be here for the long run.

I got the MSO from JetMoto pretty quickly and now that I can ride the bike I'll see if I can get it titled and registered here in AZ.

If I weren't so cheap I think the Lifan would be the bike to get. In spite of the claims of many of the other manufacturers, Lifan appears to be the only EPA/DOT approved GY200-series bike. I believe as part of the DOT registration they have to have a recall mechanism in place too in case there are major safety issues. Also Lifan has a large facility in the US for distribution which means they may be here for the long run.

Have you seen the Lifan? I have been interested in this bike, too, and was wondering if it is as good as it looks, as compared to the KPX, Jetmoto, Yamoto, Roketa, etc. Where in AZ are you? I'm (sentenced to die) in Yuma...lol

Where in AZ are you?

I'm in Flagstaff. If you get up here come by and see the bike. I haven't seen the Lifan.

For those interested in a really cheap bike the MaxFine is one to consider http://maxfine.ebigchina.com/ They'll sell directly to anyone just send them an email and you'll start getting monthly promotions. The cost is only $680-$720 FOB Los Angeles. They will sell single units. Shipping to a terminal would run about another $200 or so. The 200cc dirt bikes are *not* EPA or DOT registered. A bunch of people are selling these on Ebay for a lot more.

We got snow today so I probably won't try and register the JetMoto until the roads clear up.

Someone commented on the whole "why not buy a used brand name bike" in a private message. Been there, done that, it sucked.

I had casually been watching for a used on/off road bike in the local paper for a few month. Anything half decent was $2K. Part of the problem is I live in a small city (50K people) so there's not a lot of turn over.

Eventually I found a older DR650. It was bigger than I wanted but the price was right - $1200. I took it to the local dealer and had them inspect it before I purchased it - they said the front shocks were leaking a little but it looked fine. I was concerned that it seemed to vibrate a lot (this was my first single-cylinder) but they said it was normal. So I bought the bike.

Two weeks later the rear mono shock died. Luckily it was after-market and still under warranty (by only about two weeks). I rode it through the summer and a couple times the vibration I was concerned about would go away for very brief periods of time - like 30 seconds or so. I took it to another dealer and had them look at it - they couldn't find anything wrong. Three weeks after I took it to the second dealer I was changing the oil and noticed metal flakes throughout the oil. I took off the engine cover and saw the engine internals were coated with metal flakes. It turns out the counter balancer chain and gearing had disintegrated - the cost to repair was going to be $1600 to replace all the bearings. I looked for a used engine for months but the only working ones I could find were over $1000. I sold it, non-working, on Ebay for $500. So it cost me about $1000+ for a summer of riding. About the same amount as my new JetMoto :-) and I'll probably spend less time fixing the JetMoto.

All I know is most dirt bikes I've seen _ even if they're dual purpose _ get pounded pretty hard. They ain't no pampered Harleys. You're lucky if you find one that's not been abused, especially if it was owned by the kid who lives across the street from me :thumbsup:

When I was younger (and rode every single day) I tried to take good care of my bike. I liked to fool around with it, take it apart and all. It got beat up, but the chain was kept clean and lubed. I can't say that for the bikes owned and ridden to death by most of my friends.

I just bought my 200 jetmoto and so far so good. :bonk: I changed the oil and checked the screen and also found what looked like and felt like some china mans shirt. :thumbsup: when i took it out for its maiden trip it seemed like it was being choked out so i went to the local powersports shop and got a new air filter and took off the big bulky air box and what do ya know instant H.P. . :thumbsup: . Im new to the whole motorcycle thing but all i wanna do is learn so you cant beat the price in my opinion.but my biggest problem is the foot pegs is that they are WAY to small for my size 13 butt kickers. :bonk: