GY200 Dual-Sport - JetMoto - Too good to be true?

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding performance parts on the 200GY.

Thumpertalk has a consolidated list of parts from many companies, i.e.; exhaust: http://shop.thumpertalk.com/Off_Road_Motorcycle_Parts_and_Accessories_s/906.htm

You could check with JetMoto, they seem to product test their bikes. I know they have tried out other tires and may have tried other exhausts.

Here's a site with some 200GY performance and exhaust options:

http://www.xrtracing.com/index2.html

ColoRocky

Here's another EBAY site (VenomMotors) for an exhaust ($169), they're located in Vegas, so you could just fly out, gamble, and bring the part back:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VENOM-V200MX-200CC-Dirt-Bike-Motorcycle-Exhaust-200-cc_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35596QQitemZ4573001111QQtcZphoto

VenomMotors Claim "Our Performance V200MX Exhaust install easily and adds a great sound and much improved Air Flow to your engine allowing you to increase your Carburetor Main Jet by at least 2 sizes resulting in noticable performance gains."

I got my bike up to JiffyLube yesterday for VIN Verification Form, it was free. Then took it over to State Farm for insurance, the VIN didn't match in their database until we changed from a 2005 to a 2006 (that was cool). The MSO says 2005, VIN Verification says 2005, Insurance Card 2006; I'm concerned when I get to the Colorado DMV next week.

ColoRocky

Quick update since it has been awhile. I've been riding the powerlines and grassy trails about every few days for about 30 minutes after work. Well over 200 miles and still impressed. The suspension seems to have gotten better. Caught several feet of air and felt ok on the landings. Could be softer, but not bad. On one of the landings, the weight of my battery cracked the cheap plastic battery box where it bolts to the frame under the left side of the seat, so about 3 miles from home and I had to help support my battery with my clutch hand. Not too much fun. I pulled over and managed to wedge the battery and box between the rear passenger footpeg bracket and the upper tube of the frame. That was enough to get me home. Battery box should not do that... defective. I called JetMoto today to get that replaced and also ordered a new ignition coil (mine melted because the wire found a home on the header pipe.) Parts guy was very helpful, had both parts in stock, shipping today, covered under warranty. Nice!

On one of the landings, the weight of my battery cracked the cheap plastic battery box where it bolts to the frame under the left side of the seat, so about 3 miles from home and I had to help support my battery with my clutch hand. Not too much fun. I pulled over and managed to wedge the battery and box between the rear passenger footpeg bracket and the upper tube of the frame. That was enough to get me home. Battery box should not do that... defective. I called JetMoto today to get that replaced and also ordered a new ignition coil (mine melted because the wire found a home on the header pipe.) Parts guy was very helpful, had both parts in stock, shipping today, covered under warranty. Nice!

You should be making new mounts for these parts, not replacing old broken crap with about to be new broken crap. I know you guys are psyched about these cheap bikes, but I think you are starting to prove that they are not intended for dual sport use/abuse.

Quick update since it has been awhile. I've been riding the powerlines and grassy trails about every few days for about 30 minutes after work. Well over 200 miles and still impressed. The suspension seems to have gotten better. Caught several feet of air and felt ok on the landings. Could be softer, but not bad. On one of the landings, the weight of my battery cracked the cheap plastic battery box where it bolts to the frame under the left side of the seat, so about 3 miles from home and I had to help support my battery with my clutch hand. Not too much fun. I pulled over and managed to wedge the battery and box between the rear passenger footpeg bracket and the upper tube of the frame. That was enough to get me home. Battery box should not do that... defective. I called JetMoto today to get that replaced and also ordered a new ignition coil (mine melted because the wire found a home on the header pipe.) Parts guy was very helpful, had both parts in stock, shipping today, covered under warranty. Nice!

Sounds like Duct Tape time. Maybe we should be putting some tape in our toolkit boxes.

After reading you original spark plug wire melting post, I checked mine and it was also dangerously close to the exhaust. I traced the wire around to the back of the engine and found an unused chrome wire bracket that it should have been routed through. Anyway posting your hard luck on that issue, saved my wire. Thank you.

Very nice that JetMoto has the parts available, and is recognizing the warranty.

ColoRocky

Yes, it appears that the front forks can be slid up in the clamps. And yes, the rear shock has a pre-load adjustment, however, I don't believe the rear preload will do much to lower the bike. Even if you backed it all the way down, you'd just soften up the rear but not lower it much if any. B.T.W., there are several brands that make a GY150 which might be better suited for a smaller guy.

DMV update. Went in yesterday with all my ducks in a row. Very nice older lady named Betty (have you ever met a miserable Betty?) said she couldn't find JetMoto as a make, so she called the main office in Raleigh, NC. They said I can get a "special plate" like they do for kit and custom bikes. All I have to do is have a DMV Inspection Officer do an inspection report on it. I don't think I'll have any worries as far as that is concerned because it has all the necessary DOT equipment. Will try to get there after Thanksgiving to finish the deal and get my plates. So far it is looking good. Hopefully they won't pull any other tricks on me. Also, no emmissions expection is required on motorcycles in NC.

Here are a few of the tread titles over the last few days from one of the Honda forums......

XR200 won't stay running

xr100 no spark help yo.

help starting

hard to pull clutch lever

00 XR200 won't idle

does not like low RPMs

Need carb help ASAP

XR 200 won't shift into 1st or 2nd

XR100 CDI - Wanted

y dosnt it rev

Exhaust leak problem.

XR200R frame break/crack

stripped bolt

AC Voltage Regulator

Xr 200 Timing issues

Hmmmmm.....Maybe I should buy one of the above "off-road" by design (vs a cheap chinese enduro)?

That way I could have LOTS of real mechanical problems (vs a part rattling off occasionally on the Jetmotos). ;-)

Enjoy your ride.

PS: What is the axle-weight on your 650? Does MA have a road-maintanance tax (like they give for heavy-ass trucks) in order to get tags? :applause:

Pullin'

You should be making new mounts for these parts, not replacing old broken crap with about to be new broken crap. I know you guys are psyched about these cheap bikes, but I think you are starting to prove that they are not intended for dual sport use/abuse.

That's right. We all should spend $3000 more because one of these bikes shipped with a defective plastic part which is covered under an amazingly convenient and simple warranty.

I thought we already covered that buying this bike with the intent of getting years of trouble-free, long-term "abuse" would not be the right thing to do. Remember the price tag on this bike. I'm extremely satisfied with this product overall, and I wouldn't let a piece of plastic that had an obvious manufacturing defect disuade me from recommending it to others. I'm riding this bike harder than most of the probable market for it, and I'm doing it for the purposes of this review. I wonder what the percentages are of a (insert brand here) experiencing zero warranty issues ever?

Here are a few of the tread titles over the last few days from one of the Honda forums......

XR200 won't stay running

xr100 no spark help yo.

help starting

hard to pull clutch lever

00 XR200 won't idle

does not like low RPMs

Need carb help ASAP

XR 200 won't shift into 1st or 2nd

XR100 CDI - Wanted

y dosnt it rev

Exhaust leak problem.

XR200R frame break/crack

stripped bolt

AC Voltage Regulator

Xr 200 Timing issues

Hmmmmm.....Maybe I should buy one of the above "off-road" by design (vs a cheap chinese enduro)?

That way I could have LOTS of real mechanical problems (vs a part rattling off occasionally on the Jetmotos). ;-)

Enjoy your ride.

PS: What is the axle-weight on your 650? Does MA have a road-maintanance tax (like they give for heavy-ass trucks) in order to get tags? :applause:

Pullin'

One thing about "beginner bikes" is the lack of maintainance that have to be subjected to. Not only that, but just like these chinese bikes, it is apparent that "frame cracking" is caused by a beginner subjecting their bike to the wrong type of riding. Just like people think they can jump an XR100 or 200, or one of these chinese bikes being subjected to jumping stress, except these weigh 100 pounds more for the same engine class vehicle, stuff's gonna break. However, I guarantee that the XR's would still last 200% longer than the chinese bikes under the same style of riding.

One note, give me the age of the XR's, the age of the riders, their experience, and so forth.

I know about you chinese bike owners, but picking out people with bike problems and leaving the rest for speculation is far from a fair comparison.

BTW, how are you "pulli'n G's" on a chinese 200? :ride:

Agreed about the picking-out others stuff....I must admit that I was blown away by how little I had to look though.?

Lets pick on your bike instead. You cant get any fairer than that! :-)

Nice bike! For 5 big ones it ought to be! :ride:

Your mods alone are 3X what I have in my new bike.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewvehicle&vid=2161

What, problems with it?!?! At $4800 I think I'd be a little pissed!?

How much was this to fix, Was it one or was two times what my bike cost?

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157342&parentpage=4&highlight=dr650

....and another? Sheesh! This is getting old!

I suppose that a busted up swingarm caused by a simple chain-thrashing dont count. ?

You said yourself that your bike was "a bad design"? Talk about eating some crow! :applause:

Hmmmm. I guess that maybe Suzuki should copy these Chinese bikes? I dont recall EVER reading/hearing about a rear-suspension deficiancy with these.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149674&parentpage=4&highlight=dr650

Ride-on 650-beast (at least between the shop visits)?

You know what they say, the bigger they are the harder they fall.?

Pullin'

That's right. We all should spend $3000 more because one of these bikes shipped with a defective plastic part which is covered under an amazingly convenient and simple warranty.

I thought we already covered that buying this bike with the intent of getting years of trouble-free, long-term "abuse" would not be the right thing to do. Remember the price tag on this bike. I'm extremely satisfied with this product overall, and I wouldn't let a piece of plastic that had an obvious manufacturing defect disuade me from recommending it to others. I'm riding this bike harder than most of the probable market for it, and I'm doing it for the purposes of this review. I wonder what the percentages are of a (insert brand here) experiencing zero warranty issues ever?

I guess I should give an example with my DR650. The chain was thrown at about the 4000 mile point 13 years ago. I looked at the chain slider and it really wasn't designed well. The best part was when I ordered the new part it had a different design and has been trouble free even till now. So when you get your part, tell us if it is the same part, or an updated/upgraded part. If not, how could you think it won't break again when subjected to the same stresses that you subjected the bike too?

All 5 motorcycles I've owned never experienced ONE failure during the warranty periods. Those include a 1982 XT125 Yam, 1985 XT350 Yam, 1986 XR200 Hon, 1990 DR650 Suz, and 2003 WR250F Yam.

I'm 5 for 5. That DR650 starts 1st or second kick every time after 15 years, and I haven't replaced the plugs which I'm going to do with the new iridiums I just bought. I think that says something.

Considering the warrante on the older Jap bikes is 90 days I would hope not!

PS: I've had three hondas, one kawi, and a chinese 200cc "flavor" bike.

I can say with 1st-hand experience that this bike outclasses my 73 and 76 Honda XLs, and my 198? KE125, and a 1987 Honda 500

Two stripped cam chains, swallowed piston (KE was a 2-smoke) swing-arm failure on the KE, and stipped 3rd-gear (abuse I will admit), smoked clutch (not my fault this time), and brake shoes that only last about 1500miles of riding street/trail on ALL the bikes, leaky fork seals on both hondas. Fried electicals on the KE, Brittle-cheap plastics on all. burned exaust port on KE, weak shocks on both early hondas...had to space up the spings an incch with big metal washers just to keep from rubbing the tires....

Etc.

Etc.

Etc.

Agreed about the picking-out others stuff....I must admit that I was blown away by how little I had to look though.?

Lets pick on your bike instead. You cant get any fairer than that! :-)

Nice bike! For 5 big ones it ought to be! ?

No, the bike cost $3699. You're about $1201 over what I paid. Did I mention it's a 650? Did you know that the other $1201 I spent on it after removing it from storage was for nice new after market parts because the bike was so reliable for so long, that I never needed another bike and wanted to doll this one up a bit? Did you know this will run all day long at 90+ miles per hour? Did you know it will handle off roading and small jumps and will not break?

Your mods alone are 3X what I have in my new bike.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/garage.php?do=viewvehicle&vid=2161

That's the extra money I have laying around because the bike will run forever and money is spent on new upgraded parts instead of replacing junk that's no longer under warranty. So $1201 is 3X what you have in your bike? Must be a head turner.

What, problems with it?!?! At $4800 I think I'd be a little pissed! ?

How much was this to fix, Was it one or was two times what my bike cost?

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157342&parentpage=4&highlight=dr650

Actually, after 4000 miles and having that being the only problem, I thought it was good that the buffer only cost about $24 and the countershaft cover was @ $17. I never spent another dime on it till I took it out of storage.

....and another? Sheesh! This is getting old!

I suppose that a busted up swingarm caused by a simple chain-thrashing dont count. ?

I didn't mention chain thrashing? Did I mention a damaged swingarm? Maybe not, because I don't fluff points about things to pretend to win an discussion. I put the chain back on the sprocket and rode it to the dealership to order a new chain buffer which I should have replaced sooner.

You said yourself that your bike was "a bad design"? Talk about eating some crow! :ride:

You must have skipped school an aweful lot. :applause: I didn't say the bike was a bad design, I mentioned the part being replaced with a newer design because that's what a good company does if there is a flaw in a parts design. That's why you pay extra money for the bikes with actual credibility behind the name. Stop making up things to prove your point and deal in the facts. The facts are that some of these bikes are having quality issues in the first months and miles of riding them. Why does that bother people when I concur with YOUR posts about parts and quality? Only the owners can make note of it, but not someone who might have considered looking into these bikes? I thought about them for my GF and her son, but some of the things you mention are making think I should spend the extra money on a reputable manufacterer. Is that so hard to hear? Isn't this the REASON WHY these theads wer started?

Hmmmm. I guess that maybe Suzuki should copy these Chinese bikes? I dont recall EVER reading/hearing about a rear-suspension deficiancy with these.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149674&parentpage=4&highlight=dr650

Ride-on 650-beast (at least between the shop visits)?

You know what they say, the bigger they are the harder they fall.?

Pullin'

I explained the buffer issue above and in the original thread. Will the chinese bikes UPGRADE parts or still send the same crap? As far as the bike not starting after being under a blanket for that many years due to MY not removing the gas and still running like it did when it was new says more than anything.

Now, lets see, 15+ years old, and the bike is NOW up to about $4800 dollars FOR A 650!!! It has 45+ HP, more and better suspension for a 1990 bike, weighs only a few pounds more than those 200's for all the extras I have, will haul 2 people easily, 3 if someone wants to sit on the rack.

I didn't need to spend another $1200 on mods, but I didn't want to buy a new bike right now. Plus the fact that it is mint, and gets tons of looks and compliments and questions is more than I can imagine a jetmoto or similar bike would get.

I'm also getting supermoto wheels and tires, so more money spent, but the bike is proving to be more versatile.

My point is a used "well maintained" bike would be more valuable than these low bucks bikes. That's MHO, that's all.

Sorry to hijack your thread....say the word and I'll let up.

It would be one thing if he actually owned one and was speaking from experience. But to trash 'em "just because"? Seems kind of stupid to me....especially given the history of his own ride.

Some people just have money to throw away....one thing good about this though for him. I bet he has all kinds of practical "hands-on" (snicker snicker) mechanical experience!

Pullin'

Sorry to hijack your thread....say the word and I'll let up.

It would be one thing if he actually owned one and was speaking from experience. But to trash 'em "just because"? Seems kind of stupid to me....especially given the history of his own ride.

Some people just have money to throw away....one thing good about this though for him. I bet he has all kinds of practical "hands-on" (snicker snicker) mechanical experience!

Pullin'

This history of MY 15 YEAR OLD RIDE is EXCELLENT!!! The history of these chinese bikes falling apart due to substandard materials admitted by OWNERS does more speaking than I could since I don't own one. How is taking the words of an HONEST OWNER stupid. That comment is stupid!

Yes, I have experience putting on nice mods and "1 chain buffer and countershaft cover" in 15 years. From these reviews, the chinese bikes are falling apart in the first few hundred miles. snicker snicker snicker

Kinda like the guys who buy 5 used cars and paying to repair them when they could have had a nice new car under warranty that's TROUBLE FREE for as many years as they wasted repairing other peoples beat up trash.

ONE bike had this defective part? It's a plastic case holding a 12 pound battery and people are buying them as cheap off roaders. They are all going to break. I want to see how long your new battery box lasts IF you subject the bike to the same use you already have. If I'm wrong, I'll eat my words. The warranty is a year old on parts that will break long after the warranty expires and I doubt that the part will be manufactured to better engineering specs.

My point is YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. You paid for low quality and cheap parts and old engineering. That's how they hit the price point.

I thought we already covered that buying this bike with the intent of getting years of trouble-free, long-term "abuse" would not be the right thing to do.

Yes, and people who want a dual sport 200 aren't going to abuse their bikes EVER??? I told myself when I had my brand new 1982 XT125 that I was never going to get it dirty. That lasted about a week till I realized how much fun it was playing in the dirt and mud with my buds on their bikes. You can say what you like about how a bike should be ridden practically, but "practically" isn't the way people will ride their low bucks bikes. Most people go in with the notion that it's a throw away bike.

Remember the price tag on this bike. I'm extremely satisfied with this product overall, and I wouldn't let a piece of plastic that had an obvious manufacturing defect disuade me from recommending it to others. I'm riding this bike harder than most of the probable market for it, and I'm doing it for the purposes of this review. I wonder what the percentages are of a (insert brand here) experiencing zero warranty issues ever?

I understand the intent here, but I wouldn't recommend something like this till the warranty expired, or you had a full year on it. Then, when costs start adding up on broken poorly manufactured parts (instead of mods like someone apparently is pointing out about my bike trying to make it like my bike is defective), the value is no longer there.

Last, this is not a bash! It's a bike that no one has a ton of experience with, especially since no one seems to have gotten their bikes out of the warranty period. If anyone wants to bash my highly reliable $3699 Suzuki 650 which had 1 small failure after the warranty at 4000 miles (which was not only the parts problem but mine for not changing the part sooner) then feel free. Then, when your bike is still running perfectly and looks as nice as mine does after 15 years, you can list the mods instead of parts repair, we'll talk.