Sign in to follow this  

GY200 Dual-Sport - JetMoto - Too good to be true?

This thread reminds me of the bashing that other cheap introductory companys went through, you know the ones, Honda, step through bike, first introduce in USA, nobody would buy that Jap Crap, we want HD and American made only, 600,000 units of the step through 90 later, and alot of models, damn, they make a pretty fine car too, guess those under priced models got their foot in the door! VW, piece of crap Beatle, nobodys going to buy a air cooled 4 cyl, in the USA, whoops, and now they are turbo, water cooled and sell like hot cakes, guess they just needed a foot in the door. KIA, who would buy an inexpensive foreign car like that, it will never make it in the USA, one of the fast growing dealership network in the country now, who would have thought that sell lower priced cars could get you in the door. You might want to read the following; Yep, they just might be getting a foot in the door.

"Japan's Honda Company Saturday signed a contract with China's major motorcycle producer Jialing for technical cooperation in the production of general-purpose gasoline engines.

The two sides also signed an agreement to further enhance theircooperation, which dates back two decades.

According to the contract, the gasoline engine production line will be located at the Jialing-Honda Engine Co., Ltd., a joint venture between the two sides.

The joint venture has the potential to become the biggest production base of general-purpose gasoline engines in China, saidHe Shibin, president of Jialing Group, headquartered in this southwest China metropolis.

Some of the engines produced by the joint venture will be supplied to the Jialing group for the manufacture of general-purpose machines.

He said Jialing is to make general-purpose machines the second-biggest category of products for the group after motorcycles.

General-purpose machines are widely used in manufacturing, agriculture, forestry, horticulture, construction and other sectors, and have strong potential demand in China, He said.

Just alittle bit more interesting reading: From webBIKE WORLD

Chinese Motorcycles - The Next Wave?

September 9, 2005 - It's been a while since my last blog post -- way too much going on with the rest of the site! But this really isn't a blog in the classic sense; just a place to relay some interesting information that isn't easy to categorize.

This time it's China. In case you haven't noticed, the Chinese motorcycle industry is poised to basically take over the world. Sure, there will be a shakeout -- or two -- along the way, because there are way, way too many motorcycle and scooter manufacturers in China to be absorbed into the global economy.

But this interesting tidbit came our way, via Research and Markets, who has announced a new economic study now available for purchase, entitled "Motorcycles in China".

The study claims that the motorcycle manufacturing industry in China is undergoing rapid change, with 2003 a watershed year that marked the beginning of an upheaval in the industry. Production is growing and so are export markets.

Get this: in 2003, Chinese motorcycle manufacturers produced 14 million motorcycles, which is 48 percent of global output. Their products are exported to some 200 countries, many of them in the developing regions of Southeast Asia, South Asia and Africa, and developed countries in the Middle East.

And sales to the highly lucrative U.S. and European markets are increasing. Exports have increased from from more than 3.4 million units, valued at $650 million in 2002 to almost 9 million motorcycles, valued at $1.45 billion in 2004. This is a phenomenal increase of 123 percent. The report states that "this is astounding growth even for an industry that has shown consistent strength: China has dominated the world's production of motorcycles since 1994".

Coincidentally, my registration form arrived today for the 2006 Dealer Expo in Indianapolis. This is the showcase for all new motorcycle products and accessories for the new year, and we'll be reporting live again at that annual event. I mentioned in my report from the 2005 show that the Chinese were out in force, and I noticed that this year there will be some special events at the Chinese pavilion at the show. I'll follow up on this, but my previous experience with the Chinese manufacturers has been that their marketing skills have a long way to go to catch up to the West's ability to hype their products

Pullin-G's, thanks for reminding me how much I know what I'm talking about. I sometimes forget how much I know about bikes, this sport and backwoods gomers like you. If you wanted to share pics of your toys (or someone elses you saw at a car show) just put them up here under the show and tell forum. If you must make personal attacks and go so far as to go back and find posts I made from 3 years ago, you might be the one that needs therapy. If you noticed, nit wit, I spoke about the bike, the marketing, and the future of the design as I see it. Please keep your personal attacks to yourself. Now if you're done humping my leg little puppy, did you have something related to Dualsport to talk about?

p.s. Grayghost hit it right on the head, that's what I was talking about in my previous thread. This is what they don't teach at Harvard business school. How to scramble at the bottom. How to scratch your way to the top.

As far as Dualsport goes, the big 3 have forgotten us. KTM, Husky and to a lesser point, Jet Moto have not. If Jet Moto can copy the Honda motor that well, why not do the rest of the bike. You following me Pullun-G's?

Lets get this thread back to its original topic. I enjoyed reading it till it took a turn for the worse. All of our bikes are "TOYS" and how we use them is our business. The fact that we share our stories is what makes it fun. Yes I do have a very reliable "DUAL SPORT" that I can take many miles out in the middle of nowhere, but another toy to maybe take with me when I am camping with my kids maybe what a bike like this may fill that need. Please continue on. Thanks :applause:

Yes, by all means continue, on topic, the Wife is getting interested, may be getting her one, won't be ridden alot, or hard, just weekend trails and around the place, may be just the ticket.

P.S. Chinese have bought Benelli

Rode 30 mintes of grass today. 2 kids on Yamahas thought the bike was "tight". I think that means cool. Anyways, one of them was tightening the valve-cover bolts there in the field. Upon closer look, the entire engine was covered in black oil. Asked him what year it was, he said 2005 225cc. At least it is still under warranty, cause I don't think a field-tightening of the bolts was gonna help him out much. Good news was he started it right up and it seemed to run fine. Hope he didn't stay out there too much longer! Is there a low oil light on that bike?

No low oil light on a TTR or XT 225.Some one must have adjusted the valves and forgot to snug down the valve cover bolts.There is a o-ring inside of the cover.Should be a very simple fix.good thing he had a hex head in the field with him(the tool kit does not come with one) or he would have been screwed.

Ride Update: I've got 212 miles on this JetMoto now and no problems with the bike. I've got temp tags from the DMV, so I can drive it on the street legally now. I've never liked to ride in heavy traffic much and these sucky mirrors make it even more nerve-wracking for me. Nevertheless, I took a major road starting from pole position on a left turn traffic light. Took it up to 55mph without any problem and stayed ahead of all cars, some merging traffic and cars creeping up from behind, pushed me to 62mph to stay ahead. I don't think it had much left though. I was probably 90% open throttle sitting normal. Top end best guess would be 70mph in flying squirrel position, I'm at 6300 feet altitude though and lose about 10% horsepower here, so your top end would probably be better.

The bike performed great on the street. No vibration issues, smooth, excellent braking, leans good, and corners well. It's not as refined as a street bike, but I think it rode admirably for a factory dual purpose.

Anyone have any mirror replacement recommendations?

ColoRocky :applause:

Thanks, Rocky. You are going to catch up to me on mileage. I went out last night (FREEEEEEZING) and put on 30 more miles. Engine is continuously improving, my max speed has been 60 but it felt like it had room to spare. Not to mention that I'm over 200 lbs, I think that is respectable. I did the typical "Go over everything" on Tuesday evening. Only thing I found was the headlight shroud jiggling a bit, loostened up from the trails. Those were the bolts that I was responsible for on assembly, so MY fault. I checked all the crancase cover bolts for torque, all good. Inspected exhause at the header and all the welds going back, no problems, even after the jumps and bumps. Tightened my rear shock preload a few turns to firm up the rear a little. What started off very stiff out of the box has improved greatly with use.

Finally, Monday I received my new battery box and ign. coil as promised by JetMoto. Haven't installed either yet, neither is urgent at this point. I'll wait till the next warm day. Just wanted to update that the parts guys at JetMoto are good, prompt, and friendly.

If this bike had another label on it, I know it would get respect from the haters. My Arctic Cat 400 ATV is a very nice machine and so is the Shadow. But I can't truly find any examples of overt quality deficiency (with the exception possibly of the rigidity of the plastic). Structurally, this bike gets a giant thumbs up. Mechanically, rideability, comfort... thumbs up. Durability, this remains to be seen.

Just to repeat for the dozenth time for those who are ready to pounce... Your purpose for this bike should NOT be big-air or competitive / technical trail riding or racing. This bike is a capable off-roader, but it is not as suited for off-road extremes as a $4000 bike. This bike is an excellent commuter, very stable at max speed on the road, very good gas mileage. Some have said that it is not a "real" motorcycle, but that depends on your definition. I wonder if the Honda Shadow fits the generally accepted definition of "real".

Have fun and Happy Thanksgiving!

eric

Ya "REAL" motorcycles. :ride: Why didn't you buy a Harley?" :p Keep up the good work. Happy Thanksgiving Everyone. :applause:

Maintenance Update: Oil Change at 212 miles. Last oil change the oil screen showed 3 small fibers, small metal chunk, and metal shavings. This time there were no fibers or chunks. I only noticed 3 small metal shavings in the oil screen this time. So unwanted particles are greatly reduced.

Somehow I got confused on the oil capacity, I thought it was 1 liter, but manual calls for 1.1 liters. I previously figured that 1 quart = .946 liters, so no big deal being off by .05 liters. However, .15 liters is about 2/3 a cup or 10 Tablespoons.

I'm trying to find an easy method to get an accurate reading of the oil level, without making this a two person job. The owners manual says to "Support the machine vertically on level ground, then observe the oil level through the clear window".

With only 1 quart of oil, and the bike on the jackstand, the rear tire lifts off ground and the oil level window shows full. When checking oil level without jackstand, (Wife sits on bike) and the bike supported vertically, the oil level reads very low. When I put a 2x4 under the kickstand, the bike is fairly vertical and oil level is very low with 1 quart and reads low with approx 1.1 liters. Then when the bike is leveled out vertically off the 2x4 about an inch, the oil level reads between low and high.

So it appears to me, easiest to use the "2x4 under the kickstand" method and fill slowly until oil level shows low through the window. Anyone use a different method?

Happy Thanksgiving! ColoRocky

This thread reminds me of the bashing that other cheap introductory companys went through, you know the ones, Honda, step through bike, first introduce in USA, nobody would buy that Jap Crap, we want HD and American made only, 600,000 units of the step through 90 later, and alot of models, damn, they make a pretty fine car too, guess those under priced models got their foot in the door! VW, piece of crap Beatle, nobodys going to buy a air cooled 4 cyl, in the USA, whoops, and now they are turbo, water cooled and sell like hot cakes, guess they just needed a foot in the door. KIA, who would buy an inexpensive foreign car like that, it will never make it in the USA, one of the fast growing dealership network in the country now, who would have thought that sell lower priced cars could get you in the door.

funny aint it...i was just watching ON ANY SUNDAY II...and they showed a 100 mile GP race that was held on catalina in the 50's and they mentioned a NEW BIKE by a company that makes pianos called YAMA-HA...they then said they should stick to making pianos...pretty funny.

happy thanksgiving!!

drj

:applause:

Yeah sorry guys for some of my negative input. This has more hits than any other forum. You guys were right, i was wrong. I forgot what we started out on, stuff alot of you young guys would laugh at. I forgot that not everyone has the money to buy a 4000-8000 dollar bikes. Thanks for all the pictures the original poster did, and im sorry i made some fun.

What I do not understand is why you would pay any amount for one of these over a used honda XL which is a better bike and even spotting the chinese bike 5 years..will still likely outlast it, with the clone bikes and their crappy build quality you are starting off worse than used.

Not to bash but you are trying to do what you can to support China's economic overthrow over the US then eh?

Great thought EH, like you never bought anything made in China, If you answer yes, you sir are a lying SOB, if you answer no, you are a hipocritical SOB. Which is it?

By the way what brand of helmet do you wear? Be very careful how you answer this question, you could be supporting another country, and attempting to over throw the US. As almost every helmet for sell in the US in manufactured in another country and relabeled and sold, even Bell was reaquired by Bieffe.

I think that this thread is great! I didn't even know that there were "clone bikes" out there. I showed the wife a pict. of one and she said "can i have one". It's hard to find a used bike cheap and next to impossible to find a GOOD used bike, period. So it is a very nice option for a newbie rider or even someone still sitting on the fence about riding. Think of all the gas that could be saved if more people would commute on bikes!

Keep posting your "clone bike" updates.

In reference to the speedo drive ... rotate the drive counterclockwise ... pointing towards the exhaust ... so the cable exits towards the rear of the fork tube. Don't worry about the locating tang. Just put it on the other side of the stop.

In reference to the Bashing ... I remember when all the bashing was towards the ( Jap Scrap) back in the 60's. Let me see ... Today the are known as the BIG FOUR ... or to say another way ... examples of the "STATE OF THE ART"

I would love to see these Chinese machines succeed .... If nothing more than put the big FOUR back in line for competitive pricing.

....yep, dont buy these chinese bikes, buy their steel instead to make Japanese/US cars. BTW, steel has almost a 10x higher profit margin for the Chinese. :ride: Makes sence to me (and even more cents for the Chinese); :applause::p

Chinese grunt-labor is much much cheaper than their own assembly line workers, and head-over-heals cheaper than US "danger-zone" unionized steel laborers. Even Bush cant keep it out of the US with his tarrifs.

Pullin'