Sign in to follow this  

GY200 Dual-Sport - JetMoto - Too good to be true?

. Top end best guess would be 70mph in flying squirrel position, I'm at 6300 feet altitude though and lose about 10% horsepower here, so your top end would probably be better.

T

Usually HP loss is figured to be 3% per 1k feet, like you I am over 6k feet and that translates closer to a 20% loss(~18). It is amazing how much peppier my car got after a trip back down to sea level...like night and day. According to this calculator my Hayabusa is down over 30HP here at altitude..Yikes.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/braking-hp.php

Upon edit I apologize for my previous comment a page or two back, I looked at your pictures and the quality looks alot better than the 150CC models they have at the auto parts stores, so for 1200 bucks if it lasts a couple years of what you intend to do with it (whatever it may be) it will have paid for itself.

Usually HP loss is figured to be 3% per 1k feet, like you I am over 6k feet and that translates closer to a 20% loss(~18). It is amazing how much peppier my car got after a trip back down to sea level...like night and day. According to this calculator my Hayabusa is down over 30HP here at altitude..Yikes.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/braking-hp.php

Nice informative link, thank you. :applause: I was just told we lose 10%HP and I never investigated the truth. 20% loss :p Now I really feel like I want more HP! :ride:

Yeah it sucks, I rode my bike through estes park recently up to like 11k feet and the throttle response became next to nil. I hate elevation. Where in CO are you? I am in cheyenne about 90 miles north of denver.

Yeah it sucks, I rode my bike through estes park recently up to like 11k feet and the throttle response became next to nil. I hate elevation. Where in CO are you? I am in cheyenne about 90 miles north of denver.

I'm in Colorado Springs. I've been to Cheyenne a few times on business, very cool western flavor of a town. Always seemed windy, but may have been because it was March during some visits. It's been pretty nice here lately, but looks like we're gettin some nasty weather soon. :applause:

Eric, thanks for going through the trouble and documenting your experiences about your GY. I too want one! I've been an Ebay lurker for the past year and have been watching the different Ebay sellers offering similar GY bikes, but with subtle GY differences. From what I see the Jetmoto has a lot to offer with the front and rear disk brakes and the inverted shocks.

I called and spoke to Rick at Jetmoto last Tuesday and he was helpful and patient with all my questions. As many, I too was very guarded in purchasing one of these bikes. There is a local guy in town who is selling a GY but with the rear drum and noninverted shocks. Bike looked good, but I was comparing it to the Jetmoto. I hate to settle for something if there is a better bike.

I am looking for a trail bike to ride along with my 9 year old son on dirt roads, power lines, and enjoy father and son time alone from the wife and daughter. I'm sure you guys know where I am comming from! I'm 40 and my days of jumping are over. I can't see spending a lot of $ on a bike that will not be used for air time. If I drive the friggen thing off a cliff or it blows up so what, I'll only have 1K in it! I've had about 10 boats ranging from $1000 to $10,000 and some of my fondest memories are from the $1000 boat. Why? Because I didn't care if it sank or if it got scratched...

Point being is that the time I spend with my son doing some trail riding will be priceless reguardless of me being on a 1K bike or a 6K bike. I'm a practicle person and would have a hard time spending a lot of money on a bike that I would otherwise could be investing the money elsewhere. That's the GREAT thing about being an American, we ALL have choices. If some guys gotta have the best bike out there then that's great, as our debt is our own. My weakness is hipo VW motors...

I happened to stumble across this sight last night and could not stop reading this thread. It is admirable of you Eric to help to demistify all the drama about these GY's. I will be getting one and I will be purchasing a Jetmoto but first have to look into the possibility of a GY300 with my oversea connections.

Keep up the posts and , if a bike that cost you 1K makes you happy then you are far ahead of most guys who are forever chasing the pursuit or motorsport happiness at whatever the cost :applause::ride:

China, Where in FL are you? Thanks for your comments. After reading your intentions for a bike, i think you'd be quite happy with the JetMoto. I may have to call those guys to see if I've earned a commission yet!! HA! I think Rocky made his decision based on this thread... Who knows who else pulled the trigger. Anyways, send more info on the GY300... I'd be interested in pricing one of those bikes and possibly doing a multiple-unit shipment.

Eric

Eric,

I join the chorus of people thanking you for your thread. What would (did) we do without folks like yourself (and the Internet)?

I've been eating and breathing Chinese dirtbikes for a month now. I ordered _ from buyminibikes.com _ a 125 pit bike for my 10-year son but it hasn't arrived yet.

I want to get two 200 dual-purpose enduros for my daughters (18 and 24) as starter bikes. I was hoping to see the 125's quality before ordering, but your post has convinced me to take the plunge.

I came close to ordering from several 200 GY sellers but then I saw the JetMoto and _ like others have said _ we old dirt bikers (I'm 47 and I still have the Kawasaki G5 100 I bought in 1972 for $460.) just can't resist apparent improvements (inverted forks, disk rear brakes). My thinking is that, if they improved the forks and brakes, maybe they upgraded other aspects of the GYs. I could be wrong.

Anyway, coming across your thread was a lifesaver and your efforts will be very helpful in the future. I just hope I can get the bikes licensed in New Jersey ...

I want one of these for LA-Barstow-Vegas next year. I'll do a complete write up when I'm done. What's the number for the US distributor?

China, Where in FL are you? Thanks for your comments. After reading your intentions for a bike, i think you'd be quite happy with the JetMoto. I may have to call those guys to see if I've earned a commission yet!! HA! I think Rocky made his decision based on this thread... Who knows who else pulled the trigger. Anyways, send more info on the GY300... I'd be interested in pricing one of those bikes and possibly doing a multiple-unit shipment.

Eric

Eric, I live in Brooksville, Florida. I'm about 50 minutes North of Tampa, and about 65 minutes West of Orlando. I will let you know what I find out about the 300GY...

Later,

John

hi there are 2 types of motor the early one is a side cam like a honda cg 125.the other is overhead cam like the honda xl185.ohc is better and more quoted power.the upside down fork model has both motors fitted.this may be a transition bettween models or a price difference?mine is 2 weeks old in uk and has ohc motor,gold usd forks;twin piston front calliper,twin piston rear calliper,shock with rising rate link.electric start and left hand exhaust.in the uk many vertions are availlable at diffrent prices....try e bay.i would love 2 c some pictures or accounts of the difrent models.c ya doug in chilly southport minus 5 tonight......

Anyone know the proper bore x stroke figures? I went over to jetmotousa.com, but the 63 x 43 at http://www.jetmotousa.com/showcase/view.php?product_id=30 sounded a little small to me. Sure enough, if my math is right, that bore and stroke works out to about 135cc.

Looks like the JetMoto web page needs correction. According to the owners manual that came with my 200cc JetMoto:

Cylinder Bore x Stroke: 63.5 x 62.2mm

Compression Ratio: 9.2:1

Displacement of Cylinder: 196.9

Torque Max: 14N - M+/- 10% 6500rpm

Also seat height is listed at 35 inches, but I measured it at 33 inches.

I commend you for your checking the numbers, you're doing your homework :ride:

ColoRocky :applause:

Looks like the JetMoto web page needs correction. According to the owners manual that came with my 200cc JetMoto:

Cylinder Bore x Stroke: 63.5 x 62.2mm (196.9cc)

Torque Max: 14N - M+/- 10% 6500rpm

Also seat height is listed at 35 inches, but I measured it at 33 inches.

I commend you for your checking the numbers, you're doing your homework :ride:

ColoRocky :applause:

It would be interesting to see if 196.9cc of fluid (gas) would fit in the cylinder...

I want one of these for LA-Barstow-Vegas next year. I'll do a complete write up when I'm done. What's the number for the US distributor?

Anybody get one of these plated in California yet?

Cylinder Bore x Stroke: 63.5 x 62.2mm

Displacement of Cylinder: 196.9

Yep... (3.14 x (63.5 / 2) x (63.5 / 2) x 62.2) / 1,000 = 196.88

All of these threads on Chinese bikes are great fun to read. I think it is high time for each manufacturer to hand on over to dualsportnews or some other magazine for a "technical" report. I would love to read a side-by-side comparison from "the pros".

All of these threads on Chinese bikes are great fun to read. I think it is high time for each manufacturer to hand on over to dualsportnews or some other magazine for a "technical" report. I would love to read a side-by-side comparison from "the pros".

Dirt Bike did a test on one of the GY 200's a couple of months ago...I don't remember the exact month or manufacturer, and came up with the same conclusions as Eric and Pullin G's - not truly off road worthy, but OK for a starter bike or commuter. They expressed concerns over parts, which in the case of JetMoto don't appear to be a problem, of licensing, which in Kalifornistan is always a PITA, and of unknown durability, which is part of the point of this, and Pullin G's thread.

Dirt Bike did a test on one of the GY 200's a couple of months ago...I don't remember the exact month or manufacturer, and came up with the same conclusions as Eric and Pullin G's - not truly off road worthy, but OK for a starter bike or commuter. They expressed concerns over parts, which in the case of JetMoto don't appear to be a problem, of licensing, which in Kalifornistan is always a PITA, and of unknown durability, which is part of the point of this, and Pullin G's thread.

This thing about licensing has got me going insane. Three ladies at New Jersey Motor Vehicles couldn't answer my question. One said that everybody buying a bike not made in USA must deal with the Foreign Title Office. I said, that can't be right. What about every Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, etc? And what about the 1998 Enfield thumper I titled?

When she said they're all made in America, I knew I was doomed.

Then she showed me an MCO for a Cagiva and said, "This is what you need." It had a USA address on the bottom right corner. Apparently she thought that meant it was made in the states. :applause:

Eugene at JetMoto said he provides MCOs with a Frisco address. BUT he said the JetMotos are not DOT approved. He said no Chinese dual-purposes are. But if you look at Hooper Imports' site (www.hooperimports.com) and look at his 200s, he shows an image of the DOT sticker and an apparent EPA label. You'll also see his bikes are like $700 more than JetMotos and don't have inverted forks.

Anybody in Jersey who licensed a JetMoto, please speak up!

Fred