Sign in to follow this  

X -vs- R

I have a 02 450 r that I have set up for trail IE: bigger tank, flywheel, handguards, skidplate, rad guards ect ect, Thinking about getting a 450X. When the airbox is modified and jetted do they run like a R?? Thanks

Don't rev as high or have the same powerband. Very different bikes really. They look a like but the similarities end there. The R has more HP and the X is a bunch heavier. :banghead:

I have a 03 'R' and a 05 'X'. I trail rode the R and loved it. Put all the stuff on it, spark arrestor skid plates guards etc. and had a lot of fun. But the X is meant to do all that stuff and I think it does it much better. I like the R for the track or the dunes though. They each do better what they were meant to do. You can do either with both but...

quite different power - R is 20% more.

R has a harder hit as well.

so that is saying the X has a softer hit and has less power.

The X does not have 20% less power. That's almost 10 hp less! It's more like 10% less and has a different power curve.

Like I said does the X run close to or similiar to an R after rejet and airbox mods ect.

Like I said does the X run close to or similiar to an R after rejet and airbox mods ect.

No , the airbox and jet kit will clean up the bog of idle and will give you much better throttle response thru out the entire range and you will feel the difference but the R has more power and a different power band , it's not as smooth as the X. IMHO you shouldn't let the weight of the X or the 5 less hp influence your decision , where you ride is the most important, the more off road and trail riding you do the more happier your going to be on a X.Unless your a pro there is more than enough power and the bike is balanced really well and the weight isn't an issue, until you try to lift it on a stand.

No, you'd need the R crank, the R's lighter flywheel, and maybe even different cam timing. And a couple lottery tickets.

I've got a 450X and love it. No - it will never run like an R. But its not supposed to. Sounds like your are trying to make your R into an X. I agree with Wood, it depends on the type of riding you do. If you are in the woods and on the trail 80% of the time, get an X; 30% of the time, get an R. The rest it depends on you. I seldom get on an MX track, the closest I come to that is a local off road park - I may get 15' of air. The X handles that with no problem.

I've never ridden an R, but I've hear that the X's ignition curve gives it more grunt off the bottom - for sure it has more than I need. Off road gearing will see a lot of people setting up the R w/ a recluse clutch - because its gears are too high for "creeping" in the super tight stuff.

The weight is not an issue on the trail, unless you go REAL slow, then you should probably get a trials bike. I used to have a DRZ, and anywhere below walking pace, it felt like a Harley, especially if turning around in a tight space. No such issues with the X.

The X does not have 20% less power. That's almost 10 hp less! It's more like 10% less and has a different power curve.

41 kW ver 48 KW is closer to 20% than 10% my friend.

umm I said it has a different power curve - softer.

argue with the facts not me

41 kW ver 48 KW is closer to 20% than 10% my friend.

umm I said it has a different power curve - softer.

argue with the facts not me

Skinsfan6 and rmhrc are idiots. They have no clue what they are talking about. I wonder if they have even ridden both bikes...

Real world dynos show 45 rear wheel horsepower for an uncorked X and 50 for an R. Modified Rs can go up to 58 hp, like the one below.

http://www.pbase.com/jdjetting1/crf450x&page=2

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v...s_mrd_sm_hp.jpg

I bought both an 05 R and an 05 X. Once the X is rejetted and the airbox cut out on top, the thing flies. At Cooperland, on the MX track, I was side by side with an R with a pipe, and he only pulled me about a foot all the way up the big hill. Honda has a wrench report to mod the X to give all of the power of the R in the X. All you need to do is cut the airbox, buy a R cam and pipe, and rejet. If you want to be the same as the R, you will have to buy the head and valves, too, as the X valves are 1mm smaller.

My X is heavier than my R, but the quietness, wide ratio gearbox, plush suspension, and magic button are wonderful. The R will also pound you into jelly until you revalve it. Just take two of the big compression shims out of the forks, and it is much better.

If anything, the R has the softer powerband. It has a wonderful, linear spread of power from low end to top end. No hits or surges.

The X has a stronger low end and a big midrange burst that signs off on top. The X has a little more flywheel effect, so it revs a little slower, but it is still very frisky. A 2006KTM 450 I rode was slower and had much more flywheel effect than my X. It did have softer suspension than the X, though.

I will put an R cam in my X eventually so I can have the best of both worlds.

Either bike is fun, but for all-around, the X is better.

I bet the "X" uncorked is about as fast as an 02 450 tired with no mods. The extra weight is the only thing holding you back.