Sign in to follow this  

Brand Comparrison

How do yall think an O4 WR450F would compare to the KTM 450 EXC or XC? I just started riding motocross, but I still do trails as well. Also I frequently encounter sandy conditions. Should I go orange? :banghead:

I had a 04 wr450f and just got a 05 450exc! So far i think the Pumpkin is a little bit better all around jmo. I am buy no means bias i was a die hard yamaha guy! 1998 yz250,2 2000 yz250,2001 yz250, 1998 wr400,2001 yz426,04 wr450! :banghead:

I just bought an 05 525 EXC to replace my WR426 for dual-sport. 95% of my riding is off-road and varies from mountain trails to sandy washes. I've only put 200 miles on the KTM but it feels like a more versatile and lighter bike which I am very happy with. It comes stock with some superior components such as the Hyd.clutch, brakes and brake lines, and a quiet/light/power producing exhaust. I chose the KTM over a new WR 450 for it's versatility, light feel, and the above components being stock. I think there is a much bigger difference between the 01 WR new 525 EXC than you will find between your 04 WR and a new 450 EXC but if are looking to get a new bike you will love the KTM.

I have also heard good things about the XC having a great close-ratio trans for very versatilite off-roading including a great 1st gear for tight trails...Much more info will be available on the XC's in a short time if you can be patient. I couldn't be patient, went with the tried and true EXC but have no regrets as it suits me well.

If you are riding moto and off-road you should get the 450XC. It has suspension that is designed for GNCC's, off-road with a little moto.

How do yall think an O4 WR450F would compare to the KTM 450 EXC or XC? I just started riding motocross, but I still do trails as well. Also I frequently encounter sandy conditions. Should I go orange? :banghead:

Look at the 450xc. With stiffer springs, jetting (needed due to the green sticker stock jetting), and a stabilizer, mine is good everywhere. 85mph top speed, granny first gear for the tight trails, e-start, etc. Most versatile bike I have ever ridden.

Both are great bikes. I don't think you could go too far wrong either way. KTM seem to need a little more on-going maintenance, but has better components. Blue is usually cheaper to buy.

The 525XC is a close ratio trans, designed for Baha where they gear um tall!

The 450XC is a hybrid, wide ratio (like EXC) 1st & 2nd, then close ratio 3-6, makes for a better bike for tight trails as well as track use. This is really the most do it all hot rod KTM has built