Sign in to follow this  

Are cr80 forks really worth it???

How much improvement do they really make? After the expense of respringing, revalving and reger engineering; How much do they improve the ride. The stock forks are soft, but with heavier oil and springs they seem like they would be almost as plush as the inverted forks. I can't deny the bling factor, but before I do it for myself I would like to hear some testimonials.

I guess they would be good if you get into jumping or MX but for regular trail riding I don't think there is a huge difference. Stiffer springs will work in your stock forks but the 85's suspension has more travel.

They are stiffer than the 150 forks, They dont twist so they handle better, and you cant make them as plush, i tryed. The 85 forks are waaaaaaaaay better, its worth it. You can adjsut them to what ever u want. And when u tap the front brake the front dosnt dive so the front dosnt lock up, That way your front end wont wash out. IF you got the money, Even for trails, they are better, they dont flex and shit so it handles better, And they look better. I like mine, I can tell the differece. I race MX and supermoto though. So ill let u decide.

They dont twist

You mean the forks twisting in the triple clamps? Howcome these ones don't but the stock shocks do?

Can you tell me how much the Cr85 forks increase the seat height, if at all (wifes bike). Also, do the forks and shock spirngs in the Rieger kit come reasonably close when you get them or does this all have to be handled afterward?

thanks,

The Reger kit doesn't come close for the spring rate or the valving for that matter... They are bone stock cr85 pieces. THey are for a 145lb bike with a 100lb kid... not a 220lb bike with 150+lb adult. You must do all that after the $1700 kit:-)

They are nice to have though!

The original question was are the CR80 forks worth it, aside from the bling factor. I don't think so. Don't get me wrong. There's an improvement, but I have to be real here. Since your top speed is not that fast and you can really only jump these things so high and so far, I thought the stockers would not bad.

Just before I got the CR80 forks on, I fiddle with springs and oil weights, etc. on the stockers. I finally got them dialed in where they were quite good.

So why'd I get the CR80 forks? The whole reason I dumped the big bikes and went to this slow, heavy 4 stroke, was to tinker and brainstorm with it. The engine was going to go thru massive testing and changes, but something happen and I couldn't follow through with the engine mods (It's a long story.) The suspension, however, I could still do, so I tried everything possible and that's where I am today. I'm still fiddling with new ideas on them, but things have slowed down.

Bottomline, if $$$ is an issue and the bling factor is not a big one on your list, I'd run the stockers. fyi - Here's a tip for you that I found was really cool if you. Hlebo's suspension was testing with the CRF150 forks. He cut the springs and made some spacers for $40. I rode the bike and I have to say, they might run better then the CR80 forks unless you really put some $$$ into the revalving of the CR80 forks. That set up (depending on your weight) was awesome! Good luck.P.S. Someone asked about height differences after changing the suspension. It could change from 2-3 inches depending on what you do.

What about the stock forks with Racetech cartridge emulators? How do they stack up?

I guess you could look at it like this. Is spending a lot of money worth it to you for the time you spend on the bike? I beat up my 150, I am 200lbs something on a stock bike. When I race my buddies on 450's I still get under them. I don't jump the huge jumps but the bike couldnt take me over those anyway no matter what suspension. I have ridden a 150 with the fork conversion and a works shock on the rear, I was impressd. All in all on a track it would give you maybe 8 seconds a lap.

If you want to look cool go for it If you are trying to beat your buddies it is up to you to evaluate. Good luck

Thanks everyone for the input. I actually purchased the triples and forks off of ebay about 6 months ago. I havn't even opened the box yet. I just can't talk myself into starting that project because I feel that there is probably no amount of valving that can make forks that small work with my size. The boy seems to have no problem with the stock set up. He's jumping 30 and 40 ft tables and doubles with nary a problem, but coming off of an xr 80 that crf probably feels like a works bike.

hey if your not going to use the triples and forks i would be interested in buying them. i need a good winter project.

cr80 forks are unbelievable there so nice...and with the back shock omg its so nice

Are they worth the cost? Probably not. You could install some GV emulators, preload spacers and a fork brace on your stockers and they would work pretty well for a fraction of the cost of a set of revalved/resprung CR USD forks. Or as Tone suggested, go with the Hlebo treatment.

What you get with the CR USD forks is more trickness, more adjustability, less flex and less weight.

Nonetheless, I installed a set of CR forks on my 150, with racetech compression and rebound valves, Reger bottom clamp, pro-taper top clamp and BBR springs. Works great with the WorksPerformance shock in the rear.

yea but its all up to what you wanna do..cr85 forks are better but that is another good way to improving the suspension

its gonna be done this weekend hopefully! the rear shock will def. be done but im not sure about the front they should be done if i dont run into any trouble