Your opionion, shoei, arai

I'm stuck between 2 helmets the , Arai Narita silver, and the Shoei Fonseca (black). I haven't been able to see either of these helmets in person, the dealers in okc don't seem to stock nice off-road helmets. If anyone can cue me in on the comparative quality of the 2 it would be appreciated. Also any like/dislikes of the helmets.

Thanks

i dont know about dirt helmets much, but as far as street helmets go, arai's are traditionally for more oval shaped heads while shoei's are more for round head people. both are top knotch builders but you gotta realize that what you are mostly paying for is comfort stuff like better vents and softer and more breathable liner materials. thats the way it is in street helmets at least. another good high-end helmet maker is suomy. might wanna check into them.

I have worn each brand, alternating every once in awhile. Currently wearing a Shoei V-Moto. The newest Arai VX Pro DC and Shoei VFXR DT are exceptional lids. Cost being no object, the Arai wins most of the time in pure, decadent comfort, Shoei a very close 2nd. Both vent extremely well, with nary a helmet hair to smell after a race. The Arai's design is a little dated, but then again, the VFXR is the most copied design ever, so I guess it depends on, if you want to be different, wear the Arai. Both are very light, but not the lightest. Both have a somewhat "close to the face" chinbar, and goggles with a beak guard are a snug fit. Both have removeable liners, the Arai being easier in and out. If you ride off-road, the vents on each will get swiped off at some time, but can be replaced. Details are top notch on each, very few others, if any, can equal the quality of build on these brands.

Comparing Arai and Shoei is easy, these are the best built helmets, each using hand labor, as well as very advanced construction techniques, albeit each with a proprietary method. The crush liners are bonded to the shell, i.e., no voids exist between the shell and liner. Less chance of a weird impact causing a problem, and making a much longer lasting helmet.

The reasons dealers often do not often stock these fine lids is cost first of all, (a limited clientele), and the very much improved Asian helmets (the last year or so) second.

Vetboys is right on the money.The Arai is a amazing helmet.I have the vx-pro Windham replica and this is my second one and I don't think i would buy any other helmet unless I can't afford it at that time.Its nice to known you have one of the safest helmets made when the shit hits the fan and you find your self taking a nice dirt nap.

I like the arai too but that's because it fits better than the shoei. Like said earlier they are different fits and it's best to try them on. As for quality they are both good quality helmets.

I thought Troy Lee contracted out for his helmets and it's actually somebody like Shoei making his helmets, doesen't Troy Lee just does the design work?

Arai makes the best helmet I've ever had, hands down. Right now i have fox helmet because i got it new and cheap - however, if I was going to pay full price rather than a screaming deal on eBay I would buy an Arai in a second.

Just keep in mind that people on here, and other boards, have varied financial capacities so their advice may reflect the fact that, to them, a 500.00 helmet is completely unrealistic.

I'm stuck between 2 helmets the , Arai Narita silver, and the Shoei Fonseca (black). I haven't been able to see either of these helmets in person, the dealers in okc don't seem to stock nice off-road helmets. If anyone can cue me in on the comparative quality of the 2 it would be appreciated. Also any like/dislikes of the helmets.

Thanks

Both ones are good helmets, find a place you can try them on and choose the one you feel most comfortable with.

Thanks for the replies, I realize fit is the most important factor, but I have to order it first and then try it on, and if I don't like it I can send it back and then order another one. So this could be a long process. I'm not rich but money isn't an issue when it comes to a helmet, some people say a cheap helmet will protect your head better, but that is complete bs. Anyway, I have a shoei right now that fits perfect but it has had some hard spills and needs replacement. I like shoei but every helmet manufacturer is starting to look the same i.e. chrome mouthpiece, graphics. I'm going to go with the arai, I like the look and I like what I hear from you guys. Thanks for the help.

The Shoei's and Arai's are both terrific helmets...Primary difference is actually the factories...Arai, to this day, still uses a lot of manual labor to do the final assembly and quality checks. Shoei, on the other hand, has a very technologically advanced production facility that uses robotics and automation for almost every step of the production process. Bottom line: If you can afford either, buy the one that you like best...Can't go wrong !

As for the fitment issue...If you already have a Shoei, you will find that they both fit pretty close to the same.

Both awesome. I tried on both when I was buying my street helmet, ended up going w/ a Shoei because it fit my round head better. I think they're the two best helmet makers out there. I tried the helmets on at a shop, then bought the one I wanted off the net for about $125 less than the shop wanted for it. That's the way to go.

And all that being said, my dirt helmet is a cheap-a** HJC, and it works fine.

bell is best

I agree!!! I have done my fair share of helme testing :banghead: and have always worn a bell. They are awsome and not super expensive. I did buy a moto 7r when it came out because i liked the MC replica but that didn't last long as i crashed hard and had to replace it. Now i just wear The bell SC-x, and i really like it. If you are really serious about racing or just ride hard when you practice i wouldn't advise buying a super expensive helmet. Helmets are made to only take one good impact and then its a good idea to get a new one and at 400+ thats a hard hit on the wallet. What ever you decide to buy be sure you try it on and know if fits well.