Sign in to follow this  

450r for baja

some buddy's and i have been kicking around doing some desert racing. after checking out last years baja placings i noticed only one 450r, this leads me to my question. is it better to just buy an xr or what could i do to set up my 450r for this type of racing. i currently race gp's and the bike is set up for that?

if you're really serious about baja racing get the bike that was designed for it. crfs don't handle being rapped out for hours on end. the xr650 is your guy if you really want to do baja right.

If you just whant to race baja once or twice for the fun of it then keep your 450, but if you plan on making baja a home away from home, then go with the xr. As for making your 450r more desert friendly, I've been looking into some after market stuff that looks pretty cool.

*Baja Designs has a wide ratio gear kit for your transmition, it costs about $500. I know some one who has this and he loves it.

* a high flow water pump would also be a good investment, along with engine ice to keep your hi- reving engine cool.

The collest thing about these crf450's is that there are a wide selection of parts available, to make your bike run capable of running any kind of course. IMO The crf450 is like the small block chevy 350