Sign in to follow this  

Is this a good deal

On the surface it seems like a good deal...but if needs a top end....think of everything else it may need. It could turn out to be quite expensive....$200 at a time.

he said it needs a complete rebuild from the base gasket up, and its a 98, did'nt those have other problems too or just top end problems

Hopefully someone who knows more about that particular year and model will post some wisdom for you. Im not sure what problems those bikes had...if any. Was the bike raced?...if so, I would say stay away. Four stroke race bikes can be rather expensive to rebuild.

on my crf450, I had around $500 into the piston, rings, piston pin, gaskets, intake valves, and valve springs.

If you need a new cam, head or cylinder, the cost could add up quickly.

WHat kind of condition is the bike overall? Did he tell you what happened when the top end went?

My cousin had his 01 426 up for sale for over a year with a fresh top end and in good running condition and I think he only got around $1500 for it.

It may seem like a deal at $1000, but if you start adding up the cost of allthe parts, you might be better off spending a bit more on a well cared for and good running one instead.

I owned a 98 400, and while I loved that bike, I don't think that this is a good deal. Having not seen the bike, I'll haft to speculate, but it sounds as if you'll be purchasing a money pit. IMO

thanks for all the comments, he said the valves went on it and messed up everything. he has it tore down and out of the bike already,i just talked to him again and he said he got a quote from yamaha $1000 just for parts, he is the original owner and it has been an extra bike for the last few years.i can do the work myself but I'm thinking you guys might be right. it will probably be more trouble than its worth. thanks again