Sign in to follow this  

2005 YZ250F Fork Oil

I want to change the fork oil on my 250F and would like to order the oil ahead of time. The owners manual calls for S1 Suspension oil. I would like to run Belray or another aftermarket companies oil but need to know the cross reference or what to order.

Thanks in advance!

jjbmoto

A choice in fluid is really dependant on the type of riding that you do, your needs for performance, and in some cases, your budget.

Most of the costly high-end fluids are well worth it. KYB, Yamaha, Showa and Honda fluids are in a class of their own. But they still have damping shifts with high temperatures. A fix to this is to blend the oil of choice with RedLine's "Like Water" suspension fluid. 80/20 often does it.

Why not run RedLine's fluid straight? Long story, but it doesn't work by itself.

Two other considerations are ATF and the PJ1 Pro fluid. ATF seems to be very durable and compatible and of course cheap, a very popular and viable alternative. However, it's not for high performance applications and I certainly would never use it in a shock.

The other choices are up to you and in accordance with your demand. Personally, I was able to destroy most lower cost oils in a short time. But they did well while they lasted.

DaveJ

Thanks for all the replies. I just thought that I would mentiond that the '05 250F has twin chamber forks and the owners manual calls for "S1" oil. The dealer doesn't know what it is or the cross reference for it to a weight designated oil (ex. 5W). Given that info is the 5W still ok. I just don't want to ruin the forks!

What oil would you recomend for the wr 250f the same weight or a different one?

That 01 oil in your manual is Yamaha part number 907-93380-05-00.

It's listed in the Genuine Service Products catalog, which most dealers forget to look in.

I used amsoil shock therapy #5 in my '04 YZ250F... As soon as I get a chance I'm switching the fluid in my Husaberg over to it as well...

S.T. #5

S.T. #10

You won't ruin the forks. just put in some decent 5 wt. fork oil. That is pretty much the standard and what the S1 is. Iv'e had good luck with torco and I know some of the top suspension shops use it. It's synthetic, super slippery and a fair price. Also the wr would use the same oil.

Chris.

I have heard using S1 in the inner chamber and Mobil 1 ATF in the outer chamber. Any takes?