Sign in to follow this  

How are dyno tests made?

I was wondering how a dyno works in requards to throttle settings etc. Is the engine run at full throttle the whole time and a load is applied to change the RPM's or what? If this is so then you only obtain peak HP readings at full throttle for a given RPM. What if you want data at different throttle settings or even acceleration readings? I understand the basic concepts just not the details. You calculate HP by knowing the torque an the RPM.

Perry

depends on the dyno used.

most all graphs you see are wot runs in 4th gear.the throttle is rolled open from 2-3k rpm.this is done with only the inertia load of the drum (600lbs or so).

depending on how the dyno is equipped you can adda static load and do steady state throttle tests.these are not generally used for power testing but instead fueling adjustments.

even with a inertia only dyno you can do steady throttle tests,but again you are not testing power.only looking at the air fuel readings.you can take power samples,but again at least my self im just looking at a/f readings.

as far testing accleration,you can use a time axis instead of rpm or speed and it shows the difference in timed acceleration.

if you have a specific question or your trying to do something specific i may be able to help.i can post some graphs with differen axis if you would like to see.

a dyno is only tool.you still have to do lots of real riding testing.

I have thought about making a dyno myself. Was thinking about some sort of variable load device (brake or fluid coupling) this would allow constant load at any RPM or throttle setting. So most of them use inertia to supply the resistance?

Perry

i dont own a dyno.the company i work for own 2 the dynos i operate.

the one i mainly use in this store older dynojet 150.i use the air brake to do the load tests i need to.

one of our other locations has a 250,with the extra atv roller.i use that dyno if i need to do any atv's or extensive fuel injection mapping.