Sign in to follow this  

Body lift?

Is there any disadvantages or advantages to having a body lift on a truck?

Advantage: Can fit bigger tires.

Disadvantage: May cause more body lean. May cost as much as a suspension lift depending on the gotcahs (i.e. brackets and linkage needing remounted or extended). Leaves gaps between body and frame/bumpers.

Depending on how good your body mounts will probably make a difference on how the body lean feels or how rough the ride feels.

If you go with a body lift make sure you get a complete kit that covers and linkage changes, moving the radiator down (unless it uses and electric fan), and any thing else that may need extended.

Yeah, not only are they extreme ugly, they're not as cheap as you think, considering all teh extensions on all the lines.

yep body lifts are no good, nor are any kind of spacer lift. get some quality coil over shocks and some aftermarket leafs and you 'll be styling with a well handling off road capable truck

umm looks like crap...my tundra rode pretty bad with one than i took it off and it was alot smoother..the main advantage is to lift ur truck for cheap

This is not possible. :banghead: A body lift only raises the body away from the frame, the suspension is left alone. The only difference you should have noticed was the higher center of gravity and the effects of taller tires if you installed them.

I am personally not a fan of body lifts but for some trucks they are a good choice.

a body lift is used to fit bigger tires and not have to cut your body.. if you fourwheel, 3 inches is a little much due to the flexing of your frame will cause mounts to break, 2 inches is about perfect

now if you want a "lift" go suspention, body lifts are basicly needed for bigger tires

Nothing wrong with a good spacer lift if you go with Daystar or similar spacers. I don't run them I run a suspension lift without them but none the less nothing wrong with them as long as you don't stack them.

As far as body lifts they are decent I just don't like them. I have heard a lot of complaints of the truck just not driving as well as before it. They also show the frame more under the truck and unless you get gap guards or your truck has plastic there you can usually see through the frame and body behind the wheels. They make it eaiser for mud and grime and that stuff to get in the engine bay. They also don't help any for offroaing as your truck isn't really any higher than it was originally the body is just lifted. I don't think they look too bad on Dodges but not good on Chevy's at all. Just my opinion though. They are good if you want to fit larger tires and on a very tight budget. I'd only go with a Preformance Accesories one if I got one as they make the best. You also may notice a larger gap at the bumpers and stuff like that even with brackets on there and have it higher over the exhaust and trailer hitch. You also can't run a gooseneck hitch with it. If your just slapping it on to make a show truck and want bigger tires on a very limited budget it is a decent choice though. I really just like Suspension lifts better.

If your only going 3" or so I don't know what truck this is on but if it has a SFA have you thought about just a spacer and some AAL's it would probably be around the same price if not cheaper and a better way to.

If your only going 3" or so I don't know what truck this is on but if it has a SFA have you thought about just a spacer and some AAL's it would probably be around the same price if not cheaper and a better way to.

Lift blocks under a front, solid axle are illegall in most states and Canadian provinces. They are also the stupidest way to suspension lift a truck. I've installed numerous bodylifts and they suck. If you're vehicle is older you will run into a lot of rusty siezed bolts, and most probably they will be in the worst places posible. They will also most likely shortship you the odds and ends to lengthen steering shafts, wiring looms, shifter cables/linkage, park brake cables, bumper brackets, gas filler necks, fuel lines, tranny cooler lines, radiator supports, fan shrouds, etc.......the list goes on and on........

Take it frome someone who as installed A LOT of different styles of lifts. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. It may cost a little more up front. But the security and peace of mind of having a solid truck outweigh the cost. Plus if you actually use the truck, you know it was built right, and it won't fall apart in the bush. Whatever you do, DO NOT use lift blocks under a front solid axle. The first stump you nudge up against will shear the spring center pin. The problem with this is you won't notice it till your doing 60 down the highway and it lets loose!

A proper suspension lift, bought in a complete kit is the way to go, trust me!

Spacers and lift blocks are in no way anywhere near the same thing. The spacer have bolts going through them that bolt them to the coil mounts so tell me how they can come out? Don't stack spacers and they work fine. Blocks under a leaf sprung front end is definately a no no but if you have coils up front nothing wrong with spacers infact some kits include them instead of a new coil.

Spacers and lift blocks are in no way anywhere near the same thing. The spacer have bolts going through them that bolt them to the coil mounts so tell me how they can come out? Don't stack spacers and they work fine. Blocks under a leaf sprung front end is definately a no no but if you have coils up front nothing wrong with spacers infact some kits include them instead of a new coil.

Oh, you were talking about a coil sprung fron suspension. Yeah, you could put spacers in there. At a 3" lift you might have to replace your shocks to longer ones though.

This is not possible. :banghead: A body lift only raises the body away from the frame, the suspension is left alone. The only difference you should have noticed was the higher center of gravity and the effects of taller tires if you installed them.

I am personally not a fan of body lifts but for some trucks they are a good choice.

I've had people complain of a "stiffer ride". All it is, is that on some body lifts you completely replace the soft, stock rubber body mount with a poly spacer. I would'nt say it is a rougher ride, but it transfers noise a lot more and over small bumps it may feel like it's stiffer. I say, suck it up and drive it.

Bodylifts are a totally inbred-ghetto-trashy way of getting bigger tires under a truck. You get what you pay for, don't do it man!🤣:banghead::banghead:

Oh, you were talking about a coil sprung fron suspension. Yeah, you could put spacers in there. At a 3" lift you might have to replace your shocks to longer ones though.

Yeah. On a leaf sprung front suspension blocks are not a good way at all and very much a safety hazzard. I personally don't even like blocks in the rear but they are ok as long as you don't stack them. About the shocks it would be best to replace them with slightly longer ones. I don't know what vehicle these are going on. On Dodges you can run the factory shocks but they arn't the best offroad with a 3" lift so It's reccomended you change them especially if you offroad the truck. Pavementsucks.com has a lot of good info.

Yeah. On a leaf sprung front suspension blocks are not a good way at all and very much a safety hazzard. I personally don't even like blocks in the rear but they are ok as long as you don't stack them. About the shocks it would be best to replace them with slightly longer ones. I don't know what vehicle these are going on. On Dodges you can run the factory shocks but they arn't the best offroad with a 3" lift so It's reccomended you change them especially if you offroad the truck. Pavementsucks.com has a lot of good info.

Yeah, ever vehicle is different. If you are'nt going to use a full kit there probably will be issues such as shocks etc...

a body lift is used to fit bigger tires and not have to cut your body.. if you fourwheel, 3 inches is a little much due to the flexing of your frame will cause mounts to break, 2 inches is about perfect

now if you want a "lift" go suspention, body lifts are basicly needed for bigger tires

Agreed. Anything larger than 2" is just asking for trouble. Suspension lifts are definitely worth the $$.