Sign in to follow this  

Sag question:

I know that the sag should be at 4.0 inches with the bike loaded with the rider... My question is: Is there a standard measurement for the sag difference from when you measure the bike while on a stand to when you measure the bike off the stand with the bike free standing without the rider?

Presently my sag is only 1 inch different from it being on a stand and when it is off the stand without a rider... This seems stiff to me but I'm not sure if that is normal or even if it matters.. I mean logically what difference does it make seeing how you aren't on the bike anyways.. Just wondering I guess is all....

Thanks!

wheelz

Yes, an inch is good.

It does make a huge difference, as it basically tells you how much preload there is on the spring. If you have to preload it a lot (less than 15-20 mm free sag as I believe this measurement is called) you should replace the spring with a stiffer one. If the spring is too stiff, there will be more free sag (over 30-35mm).

Well I must be on crack or something because I weigh 210 pounds with my gear on and after checking my sag it was a full inch off but in the direction I never thought it would be. I only had 3 inches in total and actually had too much pre load. What's up with that? It's an '06 R and wouldn't you think stock from the factory that I would have squashed that sucker?

One adjustment and I was spot on with the 4 inches. Did I mention how much I love how the sub frame comes off of these things? :banghead:

I like the sub frame on mine. When puting the pipes back on I noticed that they go on alot easyer when you thread them both on lightly then tightening them, rather than tightening one than putting the other one on.