Sign in to follow this  

better gearing for stock crf50

my 5yr old son is starting to ride in some really loose dirt like you would find on a prepped motoX track. on hard pack the stock 14/37 is fine for 2nd or

3rd gear. But when he gets in the soft/deep stuff he has to use 1st just to have the torque needed at slow speeds. I am looking at trying to get 1st gear a little taller and still use 2nd and 3rd, has anyone experimented with different sprockets front and rear maybe a 15/35 or 16/37???????????

seems like most people say to drop the front to 12t and the leave the rear the same. This is also easier and more cost effective than swapping the rear. It should bring the little motor into a more usable powerband. Maybe pick up a 12 and 13t CSS so you can swap them. They run about $15 each, whereas rear sprockets are around $35. i have an old yamaha dt100 that i went from 14/45 to 13/48 and it will climb trees in 1st, takeoff normally in 2nd, and still tops out at about 55 on the street in 5th (love them old yamaha enduros!).

a stock motor does fine with a 15 on the front, and if its not enough, try a 16, you can usually squeeze a 16 on the front with a stock rear and stock chain, be cheaper than buying a new rear

16 is the max for the front btw...