Sign in to follow this  

need more bottom

I just got a second hand 450r and it has a Dr. D with a stock 48 tooth rear. What do I need to do to get more bottom? I ride a pretty technical MX?SX track with loads of square-edged bumps and dust and ruts-BAD SHAPE! Any suggestions? :banghead:

I don't think you'll get more bottom without a good dose of motor work. Perhaps changing the cam timing, or a different crank could help you out. Before emptying your wallet, you might want to try just going up a few teeth on the back sprocket and down one on the front.

No doubt about it, on "our" track you need a 50 tooth rear to get out of turns better, and it'll help bring the gear ratio a little closer to get rid of that "in-between" feeling in all of those 180 turns. A Hot Cams Stage 1 cam is also a great and cheap way to get more bottom end. It helps mid to bottom, without taking away top. Gee, did I ever mention that I have one for sale- $100? :banghead:

Really??? Shouldn't you be working TFB??? HAHA! nah, yeah, I wanna check that cam thing out. What kind of sprocket should I get? I want that will last though.

IronMan sprockets, stainless, light, great price, and GARAUNTEED for 1 year! and I think your credit is all used up right now, you might want to pay your bills before you visit the "shop". . . :banghead:

Titax has some steel rear sprockets called "Ultra-lights" or something that actually look pretty cool. They look pretty light and comparable to Ironman sprockets. I haven't used them myself, but who knows? :banghead: