Sign in to follow this  

'78 TT500 Won't Kick Start When Hot

My 1978 Yamaha TT500 runs like a champ. It starts on the first kick when cold. I use the compression release to get her to TDC, flip the choke and one kick fires her to life. My problem is if I turn her off while out on a ride she doesn't want to start back up. The same procedure (minus the choke of course) just get's me exhausted as I kick and kick while the engine doesn't even give a glimmer of coming to life. I usually will push start the bike when this happens or, if I have enough time, let it set for awhile (and cool? fuel drains?) after which it will kick start again. HELP! Anybody know what's going on and how to fix? :banghead:

Thanks,

Curt

Have you ever tried kicking it through several times with the compression release on? Works for me when mine won't fire especially after laying it down.

Don

Check on your needle and seat it may cause flooding,Don is right as well,by doing that he is expelling all the extra gas that makes its way in on laying it down.If you hold in the clutch like normal and the decompressor with your thumb and roll it along,put it into second,drop the clutch and let the motor turn over a couple times and then drop the decompressor it will fire up a lot more easily than having the back wheel lock up all the time. Works for me.

Brandon.