Sign in to follow this  

Californina pipe

Hi,

I've already learned lots by reading through your archive, but would like to jump in and ask a question specific to my situation.

I have a 2000 DRZ 400E that's street registered in Calif. I've done quite a few things to get it ready for dual sport riding, but would like to put on an exhaust system now. I want to reduce weight (easy compared to the stock stove pipe) and get a little more power. But since I'll be riding in Calif. state parks (like Hollister Hills) the new pipe must be under 96 db. And to play it safe, I'd like to find one that's somewhat under that level. Which exhaust systems would you recommend? And where can I find the best prices?

Thanks,

Randy

DRZ400E

BSA 441

Yamaha TT500

I recommend stock. It is the best of the quiet pipes.

I have the FMF Q2 and I really like it, I had a Yosh before, and the FMF has about the same power as the Yosh with the biggest TEC insert.

That sounds very encouraging! I've been reading whatever I can find on the exhausts that fit this bike, and most seem like they'll be too loud to pass the sound checks. I'd be willing to bet this DRZ has some untapped power that could be coaxed out without going to an exhaust that puts out so much noise that it’ll get me kicked out of the park. It seems like FMF has taken the quite pipe engineering thing more seriously than most.

It was suggested in another post that something like an FMF header and mid would fit into the stock end. The header pipe on the stocker is way small.

Yosh has a newer TEC for thier pipes I believe that makes more power and is quieter than the previous multiple TEC scheme.