Sign in to follow this  

pre-race

hey! I have noticed that when i go racing or riding early in the morning, I don't ride good because I am not all warmed up and loose. Is there any kind of rituals that you do before riding or racing to help "get the blood flowin"? Any streches, cardio workouts... Any help welcomed!! Thanks!! :banghead::banghead:

What type of equipment do you have access to? We typically use a spin (stationary) bike to perform our warmups.

At a race or ride? umm... no. I got a truck, dirtbike, me of course, and um... :banghead:

I meant like stretches, jumping jacks, jogging, ect..

what woks best for you guys? What are some good stretches for the riding muscles?? :banghead:

I'm no "A" racer, but what I do is some jumping jacks and push ups and some basic stretches. What you want to do is to get blood into the muscles and build some "heat" in them. If you are serious about warming up, then taking a stationary bike is a good idea. Warming up also wakes up your neuroligical system for better reaction times, improved balance, etc...

i've taken the 5 magics motocross school and larry morton makes the class warm up before starting. we did some jogging in place, jumping jacks, and some jumping(up in the air, not on the bike) i don't remember all of it. he said that you wouldn't go out and ride your bike without warming up so why make your body do it.

I just work up and into it. Start off slow, then rest. Then a faster ride, followed by more rest.

Then from there I'm usually good.

However, if I was at the track and had to jump into a full on race, I'd spin or mountain bike. But you would have to do something with the upper body as well.

My biggest benefit to date is always making sure that I have had a really good breakfast and that I'm fully hydrated (which usually starts the night before).

Just make sure that your pre-race warmup is dynamic in nature. Save your static stretching for yoga class. Static stretching has been shown to adversely affect performance on tests of balance, reaction time (RT) and movement time (MT). In motocross, where milliseconds can mean the difference between winning and losing, even small changes in RT, MT, and balance can have a dramatic impact.