Sign in to follow this  

Fuel Screw

What does it mean when your bike will only idle with the fuel screw all the way shut? If I even crack it, it starts to die and a quarter turn kills it. This is its newest symtom after the 4rth carb teardown and reclean.

Anyone have another carb they want to sell at a reasonable price?

I am starting to think there is something wrong with the one I have.

Thanks,

Nathan

first off brother start looking for any leaks in/around the carb before you decide to drop a chunk of change on a new carb. but then you may want to try putting in a smaller pilot jet. if you need to close the screw the whole way for it to even idle and there's no leaks anywhere then you're pilot jet is too big. what year is the bike, is everything stock, was it bought brand new or used?

Sorry, I should have provided more info...I bought the bike used and it's a 91 DR650. I had to put in a new cam and rockers when I got it and it never ran very well even then. I put in a Dyno jet kit with the 160 main and the bike has a Supertrapp E.A.R. pipe. After I put in the jet kit, the bike ran great for 4 hours then it has run like absolute crap ever since. Problem is, The symtoms change from day to day. I cleaned the carb and replaced the O-rings around the float valve assembly and the bowl. I dropped to a 150 main. I have had the thing apart 4 times and each time there is a different problem. I have had several bikes in the past and done work to all of them but never had problems that I just can't locate. Are their any mechanical problems that can mimic bad jetting? Electrical?

Thanks,

Nathan

There's a carb on ebay bids @ 10.00

Do all the 650's have the same carb? Seeing as the dynojet kit works for the older models as well as the new, I'm assuming so, but we know what assuming does :banghead:.