Sign in to follow this  

Ideas on Dr 350/other engine options

Looking for any site or experience on stuffing a big single or small twin into the little dr frame. My serious option is a thumper engine kit and make it a street tard, but the idea of a SV 650 or Honda Hawk engine seems so interesting to me. Surely somebody has seen or heard of this. Make it something of a mini BMW GS bike. I could live with the weight and street only "dual sport" use with the bigger engine. Mainly looking for somebody to talk me out of the reasonable idea of bore and rebuild of stock stuff.

I suspect the rear shock would get in the way of a V twin REAL quickly.

An interesting mod would be something like a 4 stroke liquid cooled engine from one of the newer 400 to 450 class MX bikes. The lack of cooling fins would make up for the larger mill. You'll have to braze or weld on tabs and get radiator cores and a new tank and seat but if it works it would be quite a project.

Of course you could also just buy a 400 bike in the first place and save all the work. It'll come with better suspension and parts that all fit.

But if you have the time on your hands or are trying to cheat the dual sport road registration system a bit and can find a 400 to 450 liquid cooled engine for cheap it would be a very interesting mod.

Consider that the liquid cooled options make about 1.5 to 2 times the power of the DR engine. And that a 400 to 426 (yami) option would keep the bike a fair bit lighter than your other options.

I've got a 435 big bore kit in one of my DR350's and it gets to be too much for the stock suspension (but it is fun). So, if you put a bigger motor in it would be wise to upgrade the suspension. As usual, anything can be done but in the end you might just end up asking why? :banghead:

Yeah i understand sthe suspension is severely lacking, and the weight issues. The idea I had was more of using an engine that was a stressed member so I could just hack and let it hang from the backbone. It is a street legal bike now, just interested in playing with it. If I go with a different mill it would be more a commuter and gravel roads, probably just end up torturing it with the thumper kit and revalving the forks and shock........whatever race tech has.