Sign in to follow this  

clutch slipping

My buddy has a new '06 E with about 15 hours on it. His clutch starting slipping bad in heavy wet sand and thick sticky mud. He's running Rotella T dino oil. He called the dealer and all they would say is: It's NOT warranty! That's a race bike! :banghead: Wouldn't even talk about what it might be.

Any sugguestions?

Rotella T is good oil although I would switch to Rotella T synthetic. It is not your problem with the clutch.

DRZ400E clutches are not usually a problem although some people can break anything. Check adjustments is all I can suggest.

Talk to another dealer. Lower the gearing if he is using the clutch a lot to compensate for tall gears

the off road drz's come with 0 warranty.

sounds like he abused the clutch in the mud/sand.thats not suzukis fault.

the off road drz's come with 0 warranty.

sounds like he abused the clutch in the mud/sand.thats not suzukis fault.

I've got a Suzuki brochure that states the DR-Z400E comes with a 6 month warranty. :banghead: But that's not really his main concern, the dealer wouldn't even advise him what to look at.

What do you mean by "abused the clutch in mud & sand"? Conditions were heavy and sticky, so I'm guessing that could put a real hard load on it. But how would you ride thru conditions like that? Is it just that those conditions are abusive, and if that's what you're going to go play in, you're going to pay for it? I'm not being a smart-ass, I'm honestly asking.

Seems to me a new DRZ E should last longer than 15 hours without clutch problems. Change the oil and try adjusting it again. Try calling a different dealer and ask to speak to the service department.

1) Check your cable freeplay and make sure you have some.

2) Check the pressure plate bolts and make sure they are tight.

If all is good then you may want to upgrade to a race worthty setup that won't fade with heat build-up.

I'm not sure about the E but my S's stock clutch was kind of whimpy...I installed a performance kit with heavy duty springs and the clutch now hooks up like a mx bike.

I've got a Suzuki brochure that states the DR-Z400E comes with a 6 month warranty. :banghead: But that's not really his main concern, the dealer wouldn't even advise him what to look at.

What do you mean by "abused the clutch in mud & sand"? Conditions were heavy and sticky, so I'm guessing that could put a real hard load on it. But how would you ride thru conditions like that? Is it just that those conditions are abusive, and if that's what you're going to go play in, you're going to pay for it? I'm not being a smart-ass, I'm honestly asking.

6 month limited warranty maybe.even so,that doesnt cover rider error.

slipping the clutch excesssively is what i mean by abuse.

how would i ride thru those conditions?with my hand off the clutch lever for starters. :banghead: