Sign in to follow this  

CRF 250X compared to XR 400?

How do the bikes compare? I rode a CRF 250X in the Ganaraska forest on the Trail Tours and it was great. Just wondering how an XR400 compares if I can't afford a CRF 250X quite yet.

thanx

:banghead:

To be honest there really is no comparison. We're talkin' apples and oranges.

They both have about the same HP, and the XR has more torque. Torque is the only thing the XR has over the 250X. The 250X is lighter, more nimble, revs higher, and much much more fun to ride.

The electric start on the X means you put more energy into riding and less into trying to kick start the bike after it's been dumped and flooded in a nasty section.

My first bike was an XR400 and I sold it quickly when the 250X came out. :banghead:

Try a search and type in the words XR400 and CRF250 and see what pops up.

They are two different bike. The 250x is a comp. bike. High performance bike for a person that wants high performance.

The XR is a very comforetable trail bike that you can ride forever. Plush suspension that can soak up the bumps. It is heavy and will not handle like the X.

IF you are tight on cash be warned the x will cost a lot more to maintain. The XR is bullet prof and takes almost no maintenance. the x needs to be maintained. :banghead: (If getting the X means no riding for a month or so to save up to fix it get the XR)

Power wise the XR and X are similar but different type of delivery. XR is slow on the throttle but the power will come. the X is snappy power that is right on it. The XR is more forgiving with the gears. If your in the wrong gear it will still pull right along. I think the XR is a little more powerfull but not by much.

I spent a week on the XR out west and had a great time. It is a fun and comforetable bike. For a week of riding 6 plus hours it was the perfect bike.

With that said I would take the X hands down because of how I ride. :banghead: If I road in a more wide open spaces I might look at the XR or 450X.

Get a bike and ride!!!!! :lol:

Apples and oranges all right. One's comfortable and reliable as a hammer, the other is a high-tech wonder with high-tech maintenance needs. The book says the X needs a piston every 15Hrs in competition. I easily get 30Hrs from my pistons but not from my intake valves. That said, the bike is ridden hard and fully uncorked with all the Honda closed course mod's including the MX cam.

all i know is that my R beats up my dads XR600 in both power, handling, feel, wieght, only thing the XR has is alot of Torque

I think I'd need to ride an XR 400 to find out if I liked it.

It should be more powerful and better handling than a Yamaha TTR 250 though, right?

Yes the XR 400 will have more power than the ttr250. It will probable handle better as well. The ttr250 is a low level trail bike.

I think I should post a thread in a general forum. Here all the forums are split up. I'm comparing the following bikes:

DRZ400S or E or kick

WR400F

XR400

I want liquid cooling and would prefer a keyed ignition, but if the DRZ400S is heavy enough to absolutely suck on an MX track (again, a smaller track, just playing) then perhaps I should review the dirt bikes. My exclusions are the decision makers:

Is the DRZ 400S too heavy to be fun on an MX track?

Is the WR400F too heavy and more power than I need?

Is the XR400 not powerfull enough to be fun on an MX track?

It could go on forever.

I'll try to test ride some bikes rather than just asking questions.

How do the bikes compare? I rode a CRF 250X in the Ganaraska forest on the Trail Tours and it was great. Just wondering how an XR400 compares if I can't afford a CRF 250X quite yet.

thanx

Everything everyone said is true, especially the Tractor vs. Mountain bike comment.

Can't afford a 250X? I have one for sale, (building house and need the damn cash!, or rather, to lose the payment). Read my sig to see mods. $3800 and I can deliver in Colorado. Has zero issues, no valve problems and runs like a scalded chimp!

I think I should post a thread in a general forum. Here all the forums are split up. I'm comparing the following bikes:

DRZ400S or E or kick

WR400F

XR400

I want liquid cooling and would prefer a keyed ignition, but if the DRZ400S is heavy enough to absolutely suck on an MX track (again, a smaller track, just playing) then perhaps I should review the dirt bikes. My exclusions are the decision makers:

Is the DRZ 400S too heavy to be fun on an MX track?

Is the WR400F too heavy and more power than I need?

Is the XR400 not powerfull enough to be fun on an MX track?

It could go on forever.

I'll try to test ride some bikes rather than just asking questions.

All three are reliable bikes and will be comparable in power and handling (the WR might handle a little better but unless you are good you could not tell the difference). If you are going to do trails all will be great. Also, the e start is great. I recommend it.

If you are a below average track rider and want to just have a little fun on the track they will all do the job well. If you are average to above average track rider they will not do what you want on the track.

Thanx for the feedback. I'm in the Toronto Canada area, so I'll pass on the offer of your tweaked out CRF 270X :banghead:

I think I need to ride some of these bikes to figure out what I need. I may pick up a 1984 XR 350 for $1200 USD (cheaper option) or a 2001 XR 400 for $2700-ish USD.

Scalded chimp? Sounds alot like a raped ape!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But, I do agree, the X is also like a mountain bike on roids, that comment made more sense when I got mine. The raped ape is probably more applicable to the bigger bore, scalded chimp...............that is too funny but just about right for the little bore. Personally I love the way my bike rides, it just has a great feel. Subjective, yes but over time you just know when a bike has that magical feel and it has it big time. Good luck!! :lol::banghead::banghead: