Lights on a Yz

I was wondering what route you all took to putting lights on a yz. I allready have a headlight for it i just need a powersource. I was wondering about a battery maybe??? If any of yall have used a battey, and if you have which one would you reccommend thats cheap. I dont really want to buy a whole new aftermarket stator unless i can come out in the end about even, with selling mine on ebay or something. Also i heard something about maybe rewireing your stock stator to put out enough for the light? has anyone done this? I dont have to have something to last all night out riding but something to last me for some hours out after dark (espesially when the days are getting shorter)

You have 3 options.

#1 45 w lighting coil from Moose or electrex. Cost is around $220. Light output is miserable

#2 wr426 stator and flywheel from www.electrexusa.com Puts out 130 watts. It costs around $300 but is worth every penny.

#3 e-line makes a monster lighting coils setup. But that is gonna run ya around $500.

I had the 45w coil and was pissd in the end that I did that. I am very happy with the WR setup in my yz400.

You will also need a voltage regulator about $25.

Call electrex they will hook you up.

YZMan400,

Is the 50W stator adequate to just get you back home when the sun falls. I'm not looking to actually ride at night, I just need something so I can use up the entire day out on the trails and see good enough so that I wont kill myself on the slow ride home. I'm guessing that its at least as bright as a good flashlight?

Also, do you have to match the bulb wattage in you light with the output of the stator? or is the bulb wattage just a measurement of full light output.

For example: The Acerbis Blitz light says it has 2 35W bulbs, does that mean that I have to have a 70w stator or will it be OK with a 50W stator, just not as bright as designed for full light output.

YZMan400,

Is the 50W stator adequate to just get you back home when the sun falls. I'm not looking to actually ride at night, I just need something so I can use up the entire day out on the trails and see good enough so that I wont kill myself on the slow ride home. I'm guessing that its at least as bright as a good flashlight?

Also, do you have to match the bulb wattage in you light with the output of the stator? or is the bulb wattage just a measurement of full light output.

For example: The Acerbis Blitz light says it has 2 35W bulbs, does that mean that I have to have a 70w stator or will it be OK with a 50W stator, just not as bright as designed for full light output.

The 45w stator will run one of the 35w bulbs only. yea the 45w will be enough to get you out of the woods. But I tell ya. I was thinking exactly as you. I just wanted enough to get the bike street legal. But the 1st time I tried riding at night I realized how much fun it was and I wanted more. Thats when I realized that I should of just spent the extra $100 and got some real power.