Newbie to CRF450

Just wanted to say hello, to the Honda side. I have left the Blue side for Red. I sold my 03' yz250f today and bought an 05 crf450 just hours later.

I have read as many articles as I could on the 05, but want to know from the owners what I should be looking for in my riding days ahead and what to watch out for. I ride track 85% and trail the rest.

Any info and advice would be appreciated. :banghead:

alan

Welcome to red. Though Honda haters (aka brand whores) won't find their bias reciprocated here. I would be happy to buy from any other manufacturer that built a quality product, if it suited me better. I'll never be faithful to a bike manufacturer. Enjoy your 450!!

Change the oil, be VERY careful when doing air filter maintenance, try to keep the stupis smile off your face, and work your back and shoulders so your arms don't get ripped out of their sockets on long straights. Get a full gripper seat cover on that thing ASAP. Have fun!

Hey guys, I'm probably getting a new 05 CRF 450R on Tuesday. From what I've read the upgrades to the 06 are minor enough that it makes sense to save some ca$h and get a deal on an 05, right?

I've been set to get an 06 YZ250F, but the dealers are being insane on how much they want for them. I've been reading on the YZ250F forum for a couple of months now about how rock solid yamaha valves are and how much trouble Honda valves are. I'm thinking that applies mostly to the CRF250F eh? Will I be ok with the 05 450F?

P.S. I'm not going to be racing, but practice riding at mx tracks on practice days, and play riding with my boys.

Thanks,

Ian

I too switched earlier this year and here is what I recommend.

-Don't be too easy on it during break-in

-check the spokes after each ride for at least 5 rides

-buy a plastic intake cover to use a garden hose on the inside of the airbox

-use the non-synthetic honda oil until brake-in is complete, then switch to a

dedicated transmission oil and a synthetic engine oil

-after a few rides disassemble the chassis and lube everything

-don't live on the rev limiter, that's a valve killer

-check and adjust the valves after break-in

-save money for tires, chains and oil