Sign in to follow this  

rounded cam bolts - please help

I have stripped the cap screws that hold the cam sprocket on. I used a nice new allen key and gave them a good tap to unseat them, but the hole is round now.

Any ideas on how to get them out?

Most tool companies make screw extractors. Because of how shallow the bolt holes are you'll haft to grind off some of the end of the extractor. Also use an impact wrench when you take them off.

I've used Craftsman extractors and had good luck.

If your carefull you could use vise grips.

Sure if you want lots of little metal chucks in there from the bolt head and grips. Anyway, go to Sears and buy the Craftsman Power Bolt Out Set. It is a small bolt out set used on a drill, it ran me $19.95 but it will do the job with no metal chunks in you engine and quite painlessly otherwise. No drilling like traditional screw extractors, they have a bigger set that would be nice to have also, but too big for your cam bolts. Buy some new Cam bolts from your local shop. Buy 6 of them, use 2 and throw the other 4 in your bike tool box or whatever you use, and replace them as the allen head starts to get chewed up, cause it does even if you use SnapOn allen sockets.

:banghead:

I have stripped the cap screws that hold the cam sprocket on. I used a nice new allen key and gave them a good tap to unseat them, but the hole is round now.

Any ideas on how to get them out?

This is a tough one for several obvious reasons, however how you approach this may determine how much work you end up putting into the engine repair.

This is how I would approach it. I looked at the shop Manuel to see it the screws were set flush and how much angle of attach you have.

First thing you need to do is stuff new clean towels in the chain area to prevent Debera from contaminating the lower end. Than I would specifically use the following type of extractor to attack it. Use a straight screw extractor (not a spiral tapered one), the Allen head is shallow and a tapered extractor will only catch a small amount of area where the straight will catch the entire depth of the Allen head.

Straight extractors are not at your local hardware store, youl need to get them from snap on or some other tool specialest.They are very very hard metal with a reamer like appearance. They also come with a sleeve for each size that allows a wrench to aid in the removal. The set I have have a very slight convexed end. I would grind this flat to help recess the tool as far as possable into the screw.

When you deal with situations like this it's important to be as thorough as possable and not rush things as you only get one shot at each method.

If this dose not work, well the next step is a less desireable choice as it might manufacture more debree and could effect the surrounding parts too, if not really carefull.

Due to the amount of working room I would remove the engine from the Chase. This way you have at least 180 degrees of accessibility to the Allen head. Now take a new pare of medium size vice grips. Specifically the ones with a straight flat jaw, not the ones with a curved jaw. Lock them on the screw in such a way as not to gall them against the other engine parts. Lock em on tight, so tight you feel them stretch. Go at it slowly with even pressure.

If they slip, stop and re tighten, go again. If they still slip, your literalY screwed. The next approach will create debree. I will reply with it only if needed, as I am lazy about typing. :banghead:

PS, DO NOT US A HAMMER FOR ANYTHING MORE THAN SETTING THE SCREW REMOVING TOOL. ie(NO CHISSELING)