Sign in to follow this  

orange review

Well I finally got my pumpkin, a 2004 mxc 450 after a month shipped from a friend (long story). I have a 2001 DRZs thats pretty modified. Well I have to say that I was really impressed with the pumpkin, wow really light, can't get over how well it handled and the suspension along with the pull it has. Man riding that orange machine was a true blast, WOW! I will have to see however about it's reliablity as only time will tell and the maintance issues, although, the valves are really simple to adjust. I can't wait to go riding tomorrow. The good news is that I have 2 bikes for now, not sure about selling the Z yet. I have to say the Z forum rocks.......... :banghead: pelts

I've had both for about a year now. I think I'd sell my MXC before I sold my DRZ.

Tell me more...

Because I'm currently jonesin' for a marked down 05 450EXC that's on the floor of a local dealer.

I'd have to sell or trade my 04 DRZ to make it happen.

:banghead:

Tell me more...

Because I'm currently jonesin' for a marked down 05 450EXC that's on the floor of a local dealer.

Its a lot of money for a few pounds and 50 cc.

I bought mine used and tricked out for a decent price from a friend and the "only 50 cc more thing" that KTM feels like a whole lot more. Hey honestly, buy what u want. I'm just so impressed with the KTM. I went riding today and could not believe how much better I rode. It was like night and day, even my riding partner, on a yz 250,commented on that. It was like I felt right at home on it. The weight made such a huge difference along with the suspension. Look I have nothing against the Z, I'm just speaking the truth. Cornering felt unreal on the pumpkin. Remember I had the DRZs and not the E however so that would make a difference. Hey to each his own, try them both, but as of now I am overjoyed with the KTM, but it's also early (reliability) as only time will tell........pelts

KTMs are very nice. But for that matter so are Huskys and Aprilias. Pretty hard to compare them apples to apples with the price and performance difference between the exotics and the DRZ. A better comparison would be a yellow apple to a Florida orange. :banghead:

The frequent maintenance issue is something that could prove be a bit of a headache. From what I have read the exotics require a whole lot more in that department. As Crosby Stills and Nash once said "If you can't love the one you want, love the one your with". :banghead:

Tell me more...

Well , first off,my KTM is way more powerfull than the DRZ.In some situations that's a good thing,other places(gnarly singletrack)it's not.Mind you i have the mxc,and it has a REAL tall 1st gear.Now if you gear it down so 1st isn't so tall ,then it's even more of a handful.

Also i haven't been able to completely eliminate an off idle bog/hesitation, which makes goat trail riding more tiring.

I know the MXC is sold as a desert bike , and there it's awesome.But ,I like to ride in the mountains too.

If i could do it all over again i think i would have bought the 450 exc. and tried to get a plate for it.

Maintenance wise the KTM is about the same except the oil change/filter mess and frequent valve clearance checks.I just changed the oil Sunday morning and now it's due again(8 hours).

My DRZ (S) ,what can i say.It loves rocky singletrack,i don't notice the extra weight(unless i drop it)and don't have to work on it every other ride(which is every weekend).

I rode my DRZs for 5 years and the weight was the first thing I noticed while riding the KTM. I can't believe the only time u notice the weight is when u drop it, wow. It is so noticeable for me while riding, the handling was so much better. I also find the KTM goes over the rocky terrain really well, just eats it up. In matter of fact I flared out my excel rim on the front a little Saturday because I was going so fast over the rocks, lil too low air pressure I think. Honestly, the KTM feels like a mountain bike with a motor. It may be true maintenace may be a little higher, I don't mind tinkering on them, but for me it's the fun factor of riding. I'm not saying u can't have fun on the Z, it's just that riding the KTM for me is pure joy and to me that's a big part of why I ride