Sign in to follow this  

Targer Heart Rate?

I know your supposed to workout withing your target heart rate zone, but does anyone know why? Isn't it the harder you workout and the higher you get your heart rate the more calories you burn?

Think of your THR as your red line, yes the higher it is the more you burn but if you over rev it it can really hurt it.

Sprint,

Your target heart rate is whatever you want it to be, based on the purpose for getting it there.

In most cases, people refer to a target heart rate as the ideal or optimal heart rate that burns fat. This is usually a heart rate related to, or formulated, within an aerobic range of operation. It's the most popular use of the term given that the trend was to use one's heart rate to insure maximum fat burn, (long slow workouts) verses the construction of muscle, (sprints, lifting...etc).

However, some athletes may refer to a target heart rate as the rate they want to reach when doing interval training. This can be with the purpose to build and strengthened the heart, or to work the body in a manner suited to the need. For example, cross training on a mountain bike to build a better heart for motocross.

Others may use a target heart range as a maximum not to be exceeded as to avoid the build up of lactic acid (often with some reference to anaerobic threshold or AT). Used in various applications.

There enough on this subject to write a book on, so if you have something in mind, let me know and perhaps I can be a little more specific.

DaveJ