Sign in to follow this  

clutch life

How much clutch use is "normal"?

Is repeated start/stop at traffic lights or bumper to bumper gonna kill it?

and does holding it in create more wear than shifting into nuetral for 5 (or so)

second intervals?

I been wonderin' this with every pull of the lever

Of course starting off is what wears the clutch. So the more times you do it, the more it wears. Holding in a clutch doesn't wear it. With a car, holding in the clutch wears the throwout bearing out. It is recommended with a motorcycle to stay in first at a stop, so you can make a quick get away if needed (to get out of the way of trouble). Just a fact of life, the clutch is going to wear out. Keep the clutch adjusted correctly. A slipping clutch won't last long.

The clutch is a pac of friction discs and plates. When you pull in the clutch lever, you are overcoming the spring tension that holds the pac tight together, allowing the discs to spin free. When you let go the clutch lever, the pac mashes together, the friction discs grab and you go. The adjustment (some lever free play) makes sure that the clutch pac is mashed together fully when the lever is out.

My OEM clutch on my S didn't last too long. 5k miles? But I know what killed it. I did with all my dropping the clutch and popping wheelies everywhere I went. I do mean everywhere also. I was a fool on that thing forever.

The clutch I replaced it with has lasted since. But I never liked its engagement characteristics. (Barnett). I have a brand new Moose setup slated for my new 450 motor.

In normal use a clutch has infinite life. Clutches go away with hard (abusive) use. You do not have to worry.

if your clutch goes what do you need to replace? how much and what company is good?