How do you warm up?

Wondering what everyone's warm up ritual is... I know with cars it is best to not let the car warm up at idle and instead just drive right away with light to medium load on the engine (revs nice and low). The purpose of this i can remember is not to contaminate the oil through blow by ( too much gas in combustion chamber when idling:prof: )

Any thoughts? I've been letting my bike get nice and warm before each ride...

i think the ritural with the cars that you explain is to conserve energy drive away easy so you don't do any damage to the motor but you save energy doing this(a car idling wastes energy.think i herd that on that car show on bctv ya know with that cutie dagmar and whats his name.i let my bike run for a few min before riding that way its at least warm.

AS soon as my bike will accept throttle, I ride away. Usually by the time I exit my 'hood, it will run without choke. At that point I hoist a mono through as many gears as I can. Then I back it in to the first turn (carefully on cold tires). I like to set the tone for my rides early on.... :banghead::banghead:

Mike

Wondering what everyone's warm up ritual is... I know with cars it is best to not let the car warm up at idle and instead just drive right away with light to medium load on the engine (revs nice and low). The purpose of this i can remember is not to contaminate the oil through blow by ( too much gas in combustion chamber when idling:prof: )

Any thoughts? I've been letting my bike get nice and warm before each ride...

The reason you should not rev the motor too much before it warms up is because the oil needs to warm up. The oil does not lubricate to it's full potential until it is at operating temperature as well as another reason is aluminum and steel do not expand and contract at the same rate.

Does anyone else ever have to give it full throttle in order to start it after it's fallen on its side?
That's normal due to excess fuel being dumped into the intake from being on its side. By cracking the throttle open you are compensating with air.

I was told when I bought mine to warm it up till the left side radiator gets warm to the touch.

Start procedure is simple with this bike. Pull choke all the way out 2 clicks, fire up bike, push choke knob in 1 click after 30 seconds. Wait another 30 seconds push choke all the way in. Warm up for another minute or so and DRZ is running like a champ. This is without the jet, needle and 3x3 mod which are on my to do list.

I am hoping nothing changes after I do these mods to mess with the ease of starting.

I am really happy with how easy this bike starts hot or cold! :banghead:

Am I the only one who can start this bike cold and ride off without ever pulling the choke as long as outside temps are in the 60s to 70s? In fact, if I pull the choke, it dies unless it's 50s or colder outside. This was true with my DR-Z400SK5 as well as my current DR-Z400SK6. Maybe it's because I'm in Atlanta at about 1,000 feet above sea level.

Am I the only one who can start this bike cold and ride off without ever pulling the choke as long as outside temps are in the 60s to 70s? In fact, if I pull the choke, it dies unless it's 50s or colder outside. This was true with my DR-Z400SK5 as well as my current DR-Z400SK6. Maybe it's because I'm in Atlanta at about 1,000 feet above sea level.

Maybe your pilot circuit is a little richer than most. What size pilot are you running and how many turns out on the screw?

Morning routine; pull the choke one click, tap the button, start to put on helmet and gloves, when revs pick up push choke in, finish putting on gear, go. On the cooler mornings I'll have a smoke after starting it to give the heated grips time to warm up.

RichardU I'm with "U" I seldom use the choke to start. As long as I don't give 'er too much throttle and stall it when cold, it starts and warms up fine with no choke down into the mid 40's. Might give it a little twist or two on the throttle as I turn it over.

I can tell when mine's ready to ride; the idle smooths out and I can feel some heat radiating off of the engine.

I do it by the book, 1click out on the choke, push the go button, and wait about 30sec., at that the revs are steady at like the 1800 or whatever, and then push it in, give it a whack on the throttle, and then maybe wait another 30sec. I know its not a big deal, but I think it would've been cool if the dr-z had an oil temp gauge.