Sign in to follow this  

CRF 150/230 oil drain plug.

So I thought I'd change the oil in my wife’s 150 and surprise surprise it requires a monster sized socket (24mm). What an absolute retarded design.

No offense to the mentally challenged.

Yea, draining the oil out of the filter screen cap was not one of Honda's better ideas. As for the hex size of the cap, it's been the same size for over 30 years. I guess if you own Honda's you automatically own a 24mm socket.

It sure as heck isn't a 24mm bolt on my son's 100.

My 1973 and 1975 XL350 engines both have the same filter screen cap as my 2003 CRF150. The old XL's have a plug on the bottom of the crankcase to drain the oil but the same cap on the side of the case for the screen.

Yeah i noticed that it is hard to get to with a wrench on my CRF 230. I figured they tired to discourage newbie bike owners from changing their own oil and taking it to the honda shop.

So I thought I'd change the oil in my wife’s 150 and surprise surprise it requires a monster sized socket (24mm).
So, where's the problem? It's a 5 dollar socket for a 1/2" wrench! I don't see the difficulty factor here. :banghead:

Crawl under your car or truck, then change the oil. You'll find your little 150's oil change much easier! :banghead:

🤣

It is a filter bowl design just like on aircraft hydo and electrical generation systems.

Who said it was "difficult"?

Okay, I'll bite ... so why is it "retarded"? Would you rather a smaller socket

and take the chance of stripping the soft-as-butter metal?

Just wondering.

:banghead: