Sign in to follow this  

bike won't start, what the f#%*(

I just installed a pro circuit Ti4 exhaust on my 2004 crf 250, now the thing wont start. What gives? Is the jetting so critical that it wont even start up? I just checked the valves and they are spot on... Any advice would be appriciated...

yeah, the jetting is very important for it to start or run good. I had a 40 pilot in my stock 250x and it barely ran. with a 42, it runs like a bat outta hell. try upping the pilot and maybe the main just a little.

The jetting has nothing to do with it not starting.Got to be something else.Try to bump start it.You might have the go richer on the main.I had a PC TI on a week ago and was running a 172 main.I have a carbon pro and my bike started with the same jetting as the PC.

Mine wont start either. I have a hotcam and some porting done to the motor. I have the valves in spec and then for jetting I have a stock needle setting, 42 pilot, 165 main, and stock leak jet. It's about 50 outside as well.

Is the gas on? Are you getting spark? Did you leave a rag in the exhaust? Let it sit over night and then try and start it, the cylinder could be full of gas. Check your plug to see if its fouled.

I changed the plug. The old one was a little wet. AQnd yes the gas is on. It is cold around 45 and rainy. I will check the carb tomorrow. Going to Hatfield and Mcoys in a couple of weeks!!!! Need this sob to run..

if the jetting had nothing to do with it, how did my bike miraculously run after I re-jetted it under the same conditions?

If putting the old exhaust back on fixes it then maybe there is something stuck in the new one that is blocking it? I find it rather hard to believe that a change in exhaust would prevent the bike from even starting. Does it even pop or kick over a few times then die? If not it definatly has to be something with your electrical system if you say the plug was wet. I would check the electrical connections around the exhaust system maybe you knocked something loose.

The bike doesn't pop or make any noise resembeling like it wants to start. I checked every electrical connection, cleaned them and coated them with silicne grease. Motor is getting spark, plug is dry. Is it possible that the cam chain skipped a tooth at some point during start up.

Well that would definitely sound like and electrical problem to me. So all you did was take the old exhaust off of your running bike then put on a new exhaust and it doesn't even want to try and start now? I would definitely try the old exhaust if this is the case. If it works with the old exhaust I haven't a clue. I would highly doubt the jetting is that far off after installing a new exhaust.

Did you drain the float bowl? Have you tried twisting the throttle 4 times before kicking it over.

Don't turn it while kicking it though.

I will try draining the float bowl tomorrow. The weather here sucks. Is your thought that there may be some moisture in the carb? I have good spark, and no smell of gas to indicate that it is flooded. Is it possible that the float is stuck and just needs to come loose?

I washed my 250x once and it did the same thing.. It was water in the carb. My dad cleaned it out and it ran perfect again. Your valves might need to be shimmed also.

I will try draining the float bowl tomorrow. The weather here sucks. Is your thought that there may be some moisture in the carb?

Yes, because it's happened to me before.

The jetting has nothing to do with it not starting.Got to be something else.Try to bump start it.You might have the go richer on the main.
[
Was I the only one who chuckled when i saw this post?

:banghead:

Naw I did too. What a goon.