Sign in to follow this  

need help with backfire screen on 06'

i was changing my filter for the first time on my 06 crf250r and i took a look at how restrictive the backfire screen must be. well my question is, do i really need this thing in there and if i dont do i need to re-jet or do anything special?

I took it out on my 04 but couldnt get rid of a bog afterwards. I put it back in. There are plenty who have taken it out and like the results. w/o it in there you could possibly start your normal air filter on fire from a backfire...chances aren't too good of that happening though. There are special filters made that are flame retardant.

I really dont think it's as restrictive as some think. I've had it both in and out and don't notice any difference. Try pouring water through it and then try pouring water through your air filter.

Just take it out and try it, you might notice a difference you might not. I took mine out and I noticed a slight difference in throttle response. The only way your engine will backfire and actualy catch your filter on fire is if you have your jetting way way off. Its worth a shot, take it out and let us know how it goes.