Sign in to follow this  

Hard Starting '06 250SXF

I have three rides (plus a gentle break-in ride) on my new 250 SXF and I love it. The one exception is that it is a total pain in the ass to start when cold. I am coming off an '04 CRF 450, and I don't know if the 250's are just more finicky or if the KTM's are a pain to start. I am at 4200' above sea level and have already determined that I am running rich. I have found the best fuel screw setting to be 1/4 turn out, but it runs great at that setting. Anyway, the only cold start procedure that seems to work is to turn the idle out two or three turns, choke it and kick it with no throttle. Once running I have to adjust the idle back. Sometimes it starts after a couple kicks, but if it doesn't, I'm in for 5-10 minutes of kicking (or until flooded). It starts great the rest of the day with no choke or hot start. Just curious if anybody is having the same issue.

First issue is they accelerator pump is way too agressive, one twith of the wrist and the engine is flooded. There are several ways to detune the AC pump, A Honda pump diaphram reduces the time it squirts after the twist for 3 seconds to 1, a honda float bowl which has a "leak jet" reduces the volume of ht e squirt. I would recomend both, (JD has them in stock)

Second issue is the auto decompressor is speed sensitive, at running speed a centrilificle weight swings out and deactivates the decompressor. On the SXF engine the kick startt ratio is faster that on the big engines so if you kick fast it just deactives the decompresor and fights you, what you need to master is a smooth steady kick, not a violent one.

I've learned the hard way that the first step with a hard starting bike is to check the valve adjustment. That bike should start with one soft kick.

hi, been out today on my 250F for the 2nd race, now done about 8 hours. I raced off raod event yesterday for the 1st time and battled to sart the beast.

I checked all the possiblities last night that could be causing this and checked the plug colour etc and all seemed good. After reading up some of the reports on here decided to give the "gentle kick" method a go. IT WORKS. I started my SX250F with my hand and in gear!!!!!!!! (my girlfriend holding the clutch before i get any smart ass comments...)

I did find turning out the air screw a full turn improved the bottom response. Im in the UK and the rest of the bike is std, except for the graphics which are custom made and look hot and unique, look out for it, will have pic up by thursday.

Good luck with the starting issue on this no.1 bike

my bike diddint start well at all when i first got it and i was told to put in a 42 pilot and it started great and then once it breaks in u go back down i have had no problems at all starting it.