CDI - Are any actually working yet?

I'd hold off on the 11k boxes for now, let them get it fixed first. In the meantime start getting your head ready for it. Get one piece valves (ferrea or kw) and a set of dual wound springs like the megacycle r/d kit with ti tops. New stock seals and cotters are needed as well. Then have a pro assemble it for you.

That is what I'd do at least, you are free to do as you wish. FWIW, yosh only used shims to preload the valve spring to resist float on their engines.

I would buy an E CDI if you needed the extra RPM, but from what I have seen from owning both an S model, and a kicker is that I rarely hit the rev limiter on the S. I think this is because the cam configuration on the S model is geared more toward low to mid range power. Even when I was running the Hot cams intake cam, and Yosh exhaust I dont think I ever hit the limiter while riding or racing. The only time I did hit it was when I was doing top speed runs on the pavement. I do hit the rev limiter more on the kicker though.

From what I have read on these forums, you may want to invest in the better valves. Even if you are just talking about the hot cams. I think it was Burned or Bronco's DRZ that tossed a valve running the hot cams and stock valves.

This is just my opinion, but I will not be doing any internal changes to the motor on my DRZ. At least not till I have all the parts purchased and ready to go in all at one time. Meaning Cams, Valves, Piston kit (440 or just stock replacement). Doing it this way, I know that it is done correctly and should give me a nice long life.