Sign in to follow this  

What's the weak link?

I'm about to replace the rims on my '05 450. I've spent so much time adjusting the spokes that I've messed up the nipples a bit (I assume that I can replace just the nipples that need it).

Are the spokes part of the problem when it comes to the constant maintenance that's needed on these rims? The nipples?(love that word) Just the rims?

Also, is the Pro Wheel brand as good as the Excel's? Anything I should avoid doing? I'm going to keep the stock hubs to try and keep the cost down. Any helpful advice from y'all would greatly be appreciated! :banghead:

I have an X and the rims are crap. It says DID on them but if I were DID I sure wouldn't advertise these pieces of crap. I've got nipples shot already too and I've had to true the front already. I don't think there was a tight spoke on the bike when i bought it.

I'm moving to Excels.

The rims aren't the greatest stock pieces to come on a bike, but the massive power is the biggest reason the spokes always come loose. Tightening them is just part of regular maintenance.

I hear ya both on that, I'm not afraid of a little maintenance - but the rims are just about shot. I guess that's one vote for the Excel's. Although the Pro Wheels are cheaper, I don't want to get into the same situation.

Do I need to replace the spokes as well?

Spokes need some attention but should not need what the X requires. And whats with the little rubber plug in lieu of a nut to hold the valve stem in place? A stock nut off a tube is just about too damn big.

I'm waiting to bend one so I can justify buying new ones.

Originally posted by rOb And whats with the little rubber plug in lieu of a nut to hold the valve stem in place? A stock nut off a tube is just about too damn big.

The tire can spin on the rim more when running low pressure without ripping the valve stem out of the tube than with the nut torqued down tight on the rim. The rubber grommet is flexible so the stem will lean and also seals the hole around the stem. :banghead:

Spokes need some attention but should not need what the X requires. And whats with the little rubber plug in lieu of a nut to hold the valve stem in place? A stock nut off a tube is just about too damn big.

I'm waiting to bend one so I can justify buying new ones.

Drill a new hole. But buy some really good tire irons, and a gross of tubes :banghead:

Dont use the nut beyond airing up the tube the first time. I use the nut to jamb the stem cap.

Theres a new wheel called warp 9 they come complete with sprokets and brake rotor and there only $350 there suposed to hold up better than the stock units

i bought a set of prowheels and used stock spokes and havnt have a problem with them like i did with the stockers. ive had about 10 rides on them and they are doing good.

When I bought my X the mechanic that went over it with me said that Honda changed to an alluminum nipple and that's why they loosen up constantly. Not sure why that would happen, but he was right about them loosening up. I'd have a hard time believing anything other than the nipple or spoke would be the problem. A set of aftermarket spokes would be cheaper than a new wheel. But if you do go with a new wheel, PM me and I'll buy yours.

Will do. I'd be keeping the hub, so I'm nut sure if there's much else that you'd be interested in - but i'll pm you anyway.

Thanks for the advice all.