DRZ did well today in a tough crowd

Went riding today in the woods trails of Rampart Range in Colorado. Elevation is around 7,500 to 8,000 feet. I fell in with a group of 35-40ish experienced riders on 3 KTM 300XCs, and a pair of Yamaha WR450s. All the bikes were set up beautifully with the choice mods, the guys were all wearing top notch gear and all were long time dirt bikers, same as me. I learned a couple raced enduros and hare scrambles locally. It was evident the gang knew what they were doing, all were smooth acomplished fast but sensible riders. I met them on a trail and chatted them up a bit and asked if I could join them as I was alone. They were polite, but it was evident that a couple of them looked at my DRZ-S and figured they would leave me far behind.

Not wanting to get in the way, I brought up the rear when we took off. The pace was pretty quick. We were on technical zig zaggy trails with lots of rocks and roots, hacked up and downhill corners and the occasional whoop section. After awhile, I zipped by one guy on his KTM and clung to the rear end of one of the WR450s. I could not pass him, but I was on his tail the whole way. The entire day went like this. I held my own, able to zip by one of them and ride on the tails of the others and lead without holding up the pace. We rode 55 miles together. The DRZ worked splendidly. Hook up out of 2nd gear hacky corners and down short straights had me reeling in the 300XCs, which pulled away in the whoops. The mighty WR450s were impressive. Still, the DRZ got traction everywhere I a managed to hang with them. The DRZ actually was able to make up time in the really tight uphill rocky rooty rough stuff, producing strong thrust instead of wheelspin.. My stock forks, with .46 springs (I weigh 175) and Silkolene oil are magic in this type of environment too.

No, the DRZ is not better than a KTM 300 XC, or a WR450, but if set up right and in nasty terrain it craves, it is not an impediment either. At the end of the day, I learned they are a group that meets at various riding areas via e-mail. I am on their list. The parting comment was "God help us if he gets a KTM".

Let them think the DRZ is a slow heavy pig and that I am a better rider than I am. I am competent, but I know better. The bike works :banghead:

My bike still have a CV carb, has a Yosh full system and Hotcams intake. My settings, which really worked today

1) 128 main, DJ needle on #2 from top, adjutable fuel screw about 2 turns out.

2) .46 fork springs with Silkolene oil, stock valving, comp and rebound 10 turns out. (I like a plush front and stiff rear)

3) Rear shock rebound 4 clicks out, compression about the same, a bit under 1.25" of sag.

4) Dunlop D756 front tire. The bike steers awesome. The rear tire does not matter as far as I am concerned. The thing just hooks up. I have a Maxxis IT Cross.

Sounds like a plan Burned. :banghead:

I put an IMS 3.2 gal tank on my bike and stripped off all the street stuff. It is pretty much a CA spec "E" now, as it still has the CV carb. The top end is stifled by the CV, but the mid is fat and crisp. Perfect for the woods I like to ride in. I have ridden an "E" with an FCR and until the revs are high, you would be hard pressed to notice the difference. The difference at high revs is pronounced though. I have a 1/5 turn throttle, that prods the CV into a decent FCR imitation. The front end can be lightened at a moment's notice.

The bike has all the power I need with the well set up CV for the snotty trails I favor. It also goes stupid far on a gallon of gas, around 40 mpg off road and riding reasonably hard. With 3 gal on board, I never have to worry about gas. I am gonna spend the FCR money on servicing the suspension year after year :banghead:

we will have to hook up for some rides this winter.i ride at PMI a fair bit.i just bought a 04 crf for a trail bike.

I'll second that sentiment! I'm anxious to get out on some CO trails myself. I've only gotten to ride MX since I arrived... I've been taking my time on seeking a ride though to get used to this altitude. Great report and give me a shout if you need a 2nd for a ride! Ride safe, and keep those other guys looking over their shoulders! :banghead: Andrew

I put an IMS 3.2 gal tank on my bike and stripped off all the street stuff. It is pretty much a CA spec "E" now, as it still has the CV carb. The top end is stifled by the CV, but the mid is fat and crisp. Perfect for the woods I like to ride in. I have ridden an "E" with an FCR and until the revs are high, you would be hard pressed to notice the difference. The difference at high revs is pronounced though. I have a 1/5 turn throttle, that prods the CV into a decent FCR imitation. The front end can be lightened at a moment's notice.

The bike has all the power I need with the well set up CV for the snotty trails I favor. It also goes stupid far on a gallon of gas, around 40 mpg off road and riding reasonably hard. With 3 gal on board, I never have to worry about gas. I am gonna spend the FCR money on servicing the suspension year after year :banghead:

I will tell you a "funny" story. About 10 years ago my wife and I took our DRS250 and 350 (hers and his) Suzukis to Crested Butte, CO where her family has a log cabin in the woods. Comming from sea level in sunny California, I had concerns for the bikes even running when we arrived at the 9,500ft elevation of the cabin. I decided to try to find jetting kits for the DR's CV carbs. No one had any parts for the DR CV carbs in stock. I went ahead and ordered a pair of Mikuni TM carbs from SUDCO and a wide range of leaner main, pilots, fat needles and air correction jets for the TM carbs. We arrived in Colorado in mid afternoon and the second I got there I tried my DR350, it lit right off at the first kick and ran like a champion the whole time as did the 250, we rode mountain passes that went to above 12,500 ft and the bikes never missed a beat (didn't have much power either compared to sea level power output.) I am getting ready to put the FCR carb on my DRZ 400S but the CV will stay at the ready for any Colorado trips I might take the bike on. I actually think the CV carb runs OK after I did the 3X3 airbox "mod" and dialed in the jetting but, the FCR will make wheelies much easier along with the excellent throttle response when it is installed so it is going on soon.

If I still lived in CA and rode out in those wide open deserts, my bike would be wearing an FCR for sure. If you have ridden Kennedy Meadows, then you have an idea of what the trails are like here. Lots of riding in the lower three gears. Once set up, the CV works well in such an environment.

The Kicker (I was mistaken earlier, it was not an "E") model I rode belonged to Phile, who has not posted here in awhile. It wore Yosh cams and sported a 13.5:1 piston. Talk about torque and response. That thing barked. Phile rode my bike and was really surprised how well it ran. I also put an "E" base gasket in mine to raise compression. That helped the "bark factor" considerably :banghead:

Pick up a used 40mm keihin CVK off a KLR650 or KLX650 or KLR600. You will have everything that you have now and the BIG power on top like a FCR. The couple of guys on this list that tried them ... both emailed me later and thanked me for the suggestion ... They both are extremely happy. Maybe they will chime in if they see this post.

I have often wondered about putting a 40mm CV on, but it has always been a theoretical wondering. Hopefully they chime in and provide jetting specs and info on how they managed to fit the boots up :banghead:

I have nothing against CV carbs per se. My last streetbike (Ninja 750) developed plenty of power with them. The problem is the stock CV is 36mm and the FCR is 39. Big difference in size.

It would be interesting to dyno the 40mm CV on a DRZ and see what it does.

I have often wondered about putting a 40mm CV on, but it has always been a theoretical wondering. Hopefully they chime in and provide jetting specs and info on how they managed to fit the boots up :banghead:

I have nothing against CV carbs per se. My last streetbike (Ninja 750) developed plenty of power with them. The problem is the stock CV is 36mm and the FCR is 39. Big difference in size.

It would be interesting to dyno the 40mm CV on a DRZ and see what it does.

I know of 10 that are installed as I speak .... Most of which I have installed myself. The carb snaps into the stock boots. I have the jetting specs when you need them. The carb of choice would be off a KLX650R model as the stock jetting is almost SPOT ON, and it already has an enlarged vacuum port from the factory.

Well, here is testimony for the CVK 40. It flat out rips. I am one of the subjects that freewheeler is refurring to. This was a great/inexpensive mod. My brother has an E so we get to compare them often (like today). In a drag race my S out accelerates his E and he has shorter gearing. Also my gas mileage is about the same as the BSR 36. :banghead:

Nothing but goodnes. Yes, I'd love to see a dyno as well.

Thanks again Dave! :banghead:

Wonderful!

The timing of your report was great since last week a friend of mine came to work with a brand new WR450 (street legaled) and I said "wow". It was lean mean, and light. His bike did make my DR-Z look and feel like a pig (kind of like when I compare my DR-Z to a pig KLR 650: oink-oink).

Glad to hear that you showed them that the DR-Z does have its place on the trails.

Of course I understand that the WR is Yamaha's answer to a competition bike and the DR-Z is a dual sport for fun, fun, fun!

Take care and be careful,

TZ.

I wonder if the stock 40mm CV from a HD Sportster would work? I have an unused take-off one from a 2004 XL1200R, if anyone is interested. Cheap.

Mounting and jetting is totaly different ... I'm not saying it won't work ... However it would take alot of modding to get it to work correctly