Sign in to follow this  

03 450f....one min good next bad?

Ok started with the bike ran good...just real hard to start...so after reading that the valves can cause this to happen....I called a friend to help me do the valve's...I have done them on cars and nother bikes...but not the crf...so he comes over and we do the valves and they were out of spec so we went and got the new shims,...well after that the bike would not start @ all I was thinking it might be form having the tank off "Motor is in a Quad" so we pull started it and it ran 100%..........till quarter throttle and it would fall on its face I mean like dead in the water till the RPM's came donw and then same thing again...so we pulled it back to the house and started looking and it looked like the cam tooth was off one tooth....so we re did the cam chain and went out again...on the 2ed run the bike still would not start with out a pull start and when it did start it ran like shizle..idle was real bad...so I just killed it and went home I had my fun for the day...so tonight I went to check the valves for my self after getting the Honda book...and when I went to check the vavles on the intake side..I could not get my smallest feeler under the cam on either side ".005 Smallest " so I took the cam out to see what shims were under the intake side and there was a 160 on the right side "No Chain" and a 168 on the other "Chain Side"...so I looked @ the old shims we took out from the OE set up..and there was a 162 and a 168...not sure what side they came out from last time...cause of the friend who helps I was watching...any who I am @ a stand still with the settings now with out getting the feeler under the cam to see what the spec is @...what should I do?

I was thinking of ordering the shim Kit with all the shims in it cause the closest place is about 30-45 mins from my house... :busted::crazy::busted::busted::banghead::busted::banghead:🤣

thanxs again for all your help guys...

-Paul

New valves, seats and springs. Once you need to shim, they're toast, you won't get more than a couple hours out of them by most accounts.

New valves, seats and springs. Once you need to shim, they're toast, you won't get more than a couple hours out of them by most accounts.

man that was not what I wanted to hear/see... :banghead:

Sounds like you didn't get the cam timing correct. It is easy to check and easy to be off by a tooth.

Sounds like you didn't get the cam timing correct. It is easy to check and easy to be off by a tooth.

Save yourself the $80 for the shim kit and put Stainless Steel intake valves in it and never adjust again.

yah every thing is right on now...and cant check the valves...clearance is way to tight to get the .005 under the cam

on the thumpertalk store, 2 kibblewhite stainless steel intake valves and spring kit will run you about 250 altogether. about 30 a piece for the valves, and you obviously need 2, and 190 for the spring kit. YOU MUST HAVE THE SPRING KIT. Don't try using your stock springs with the heavier valves, they aren't strong enough. click the store link at the top of this page, on the left click off road parts, then click sort by brand, click the K for kibblewhite, scroll down until you find them. this should be all you need, these are the vavles everyone uses. fortunately my crf450 doesn't eat valves. but if you look at the reviews on tt, it's nothing but good. good luck, i know how frustrated you are.

what about the head gasket..is it reusable or paper?...do they make a thinner gasket to gain a little more compression?

what about the head gasket..is it reusable or paper?...do they make a thinner gasket to gain a little more compression?

While yove got it down, put an 04 piston in it. That bumps the compression a bit. OR you could go with a JE 12:1 too...

Why do I feel dirty after talkin to quad guys... :banghead: