Sign in to follow this  

Gas Gas Plastic

The front fender on my GAS GAS TXT280 just broke. The fender is still intact but about a 2.5 inch long 0.5 wide piece broke off along the side. Does anybody know of a good glue that I can use to glue the piece back on. I ordered a new fender anyways but thought that while I'm waiting for the new fender to arrive, maybe there is a way to temporarily fix it.

Thanks,

Ed

Drill some holes in the plastic, then stitch it up with zip ties. Thats what I do, my old bike looked like frankenstein.

The superglue they sell at hobby stores usually works pretty good for glueing things as well.

Or just live with it, won't make much difference...

I've used GOOP to do the trick. They make severl versions of it. The original version was called Shoe Goop. Look for the outdoor version or automotive version.

There is also a plastic mender that mixes like Epoxy in a double tube type of aplicator so that you can squeeze out equal amounts. It is very strong and works very well.

Thanks guys. I bought some stuff, I think its called plastic welder. Its the stuff that 2 ply mentioned that mixes like Epoxy in a double tube type of applicator. Tomorrow I'll go practice and see how it holds up. Sunday I'm doing the Broken Knee Trial in McCain Valley (near San Diego). Maybe I'll have more repairs after that. :banghead:

Thanks guys. I bought some stuff, I think its called plastic welder. Its the stuff that 2 ply mentioned that mixes like Epoxy in a double tube type of applicator. Tomorrow I'll go practice and see how it holds up. Sunday I'm doing the Broken Knee Trial in McCain Valley (near San Diego). Maybe I'll have more repairs after that. :banghead:

:banghead: Let us know how it holds up. I've never used it for a broken fender YET (haven't broken one for many many years), but it sure works on every other thing I use it on and I carry some with me when I ride.

The piece that I glued broke off again while practicing thursday. It looks like the glue epoxy is not bonding to the fender plastic. Tomorrow I'm riding an event so I'll leave as is for now, but next week I may try gluing it again just for the fun of it.

:banghead: Let us know how it holds up. I've never used it for a broken fender YET (haven't broken one for many many years), but it sure works on every other thing I use it on and I carry some with me when I ride.

You might have luck if you drill some very small shallow holes in each part near the break before you use something like Outdoor Goop or Shoe Goop:

http://www.eclecticproducts.com/shoegoo/home.asp

Tape the two pieces together and then apply the stuff on the underside of the fender over the seam and out about 1/2 inch or more to either side. Maybe use one thin application and then another later. But rough up the surface or drill the small holes so the stuff can get a grip.

Other than that, you could get creative with duct tape on both sides of the fender until you can get a new one.. Good luck. :banghead:

Thats an excellent idea. I'll give that a try.

Yesterday I did an awesome trial that was put on by the San Diego Trials Riders club. I was going to leave the fender alone as it broke on Thursday, but I had a little time on Saturday so I Krazy glued it and then put a little of the plastic weld on top and bottom of the fender. Suprisingly it held up? Doesnt look too bad either.

You might have luck if you drill some very small shallow holes in each part near the break before you use something like Outdoor Goop or Shoe Goop:

http://www.eclecticproducts.com/shoegoo/home.asp

Tape the two pieces together and then apply the stuff on the underside of the fender over the seam and out about 1/2 inch or more to either side. Maybe use one thin application and then another later. But rough up the surface or drill the small holes so the stuff can get a grip.

Other than that, you could get creative with duct tape on both sides of the fender until you can get a new one.. Good luck. :banghead:

Cool... if it holds up, you could see if you can find some plastic compatible paint and paint the fender. Even mask it off with some shape or something.

Better if you buy a new replacement fender. That way, your patched fender will last forever!

I have found that if I buy a new set of fenders when I buy a new bike, I never break the fenders.. go figure.. :banghead::banghead:

While searchingn for Loc-tite the other day,

I see they offer a plastic bonding product...