Sign in to follow this  

synthetic oil.... not what you think...

ok, for the past few months i have noticed that my engine is tapping louder than it was before. and this is after adjusting my valves to the tighter side of the range. i have adjusted and re-adjusted just to make sure i had them in the right range but everytime they were spot on and still kinda noisy. now they're not too bad but louder than before, i think. anyway i'm just wondering that if a semi-synthetic oil or a full sythetic oil would cause louder noise in the valve area for any reason? perhaps my cam change needs tightened? it's really bothering me though... perhaps i'm just being paranoid?.?.?

synthetic or synblend or dino shouldn't contribute to the noise.

I had the same problem with mine, I would adjust and adjust but still noisy. Unfortunately mine was a flat rocker pad. Can you see the cam lobe?

Nathan

if you're on the 2004 650, you have an automatic cam chain tensioner. I re-did my valves last night and it made a huge difference. I put them back to .003 and .007. i was running one thousandth more on each and it was a noisey sun of a gun. now it's very quiet. i run amsoil 1/2 10/40 and half 20/50. it seems to have smoothed and quieted things a little. I'm about to make the jump to the shell though, cross your fingers.

yeah i have them set at .003 and .007 down one thousandth from .004 and .008 also and it did quiet it down ALOT but i just want to be sure that it's normal. i wish i had someone around me that had the same bike so i could listen to theirs, lol. i can't remember how noisy it was when i got the bike new. i'm probably just being paranoid, and as they say tappy valves are happy valves right? :banghead: