Sign in to follow this  

Seen the new Aprilla Dirtbikes?

She looks pretty trik !!!!!!!!!!!! Twin cylinder to equal the same cc burns per rev as a two smoke ????????? Wonder what it weighs and sounds like ????????? Probably like any other V-twin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banghead::banghead:

yea one of the mags had some info on it a while back. wonder what it will cost.

Rumoured to be around 18000AUD

I need a drool napkin to even look at them.

But 20 grand for a toy is too much for me unless I can sleep in it and fish from it.

anyone else think that bike is begging for carbon fiber guards everywhere and a polished frame and swingarm treatment?

I know most of you think bling on a dirtbike is a waste, but with what that one costs and how it looks, I think it deserves it.

Nice bike... Although I shudder at the thought of the repair bill if explodes... :banghead:

Nice bike... Although I shudder at the thought of the repair bill if explodes... :banghead:

i hear that, i thin k they are really reaching , if they think people wanna have more mateinance, and repair bills!, and it just won't perform that much better on the trails, like all aprilias, they cost alot , don't go as hard as their competitors, but they do look good....for the posers IMO :banghead:

they ran one in mx1 this year. not usre how they finished on it. 18000 aus =$13500.

Are you sure about that? The FIM outlawed multicylinder bike for MX sometime back. Honda had built a twin cylinder 125 it planned to run in the 125 MXGP. The FIM banned the bike. Maybe the rule just applies to 2 strokes?

Aprilia won the S2 Supermoto World Championship with this same basic bike. So it does seem to race well.

Unless AMA changes something though we will never see it race professionally here. The AMA only allows single cyl bikes in Motocross, supercross and supermoto.

I'm not sure the "more maintanence" statement is correct. If you double the cyl, at the same displacement, does the stress on the motor really go up? I don't think so. Even with the RPMs they are talking about running. It certainly wouldn't have the same paint mixer affect on the rider. Oh yeah, and Aprilia street motors are known for being bulletproof reliable over long periods of time.

Oh yeah, and Aprilia street motors are known for being bulletproof reliable over long periods of time.

and they are also alot slower...not up to speed with the new RSV mille's but the older ones 2000- 2004, were nice to ride, but not as solid on the power as the jap bikes that cost alot less to buy and cheaper for parts!

I'm not sure the "more maintanence" statement is correct. If you double the cyl, at the same displacement, does the stress on the motor really go up? I don't think so. Even with the RPMs they are talking about running. It certainly wouldn't have the same paint mixer affect on the rider. Oh yeah, and Aprilia street motors are known for being bulletproof reliable over long periods of time.

And having twice the amount of moving parts won't make it less reliable?

:banghead:

You will have roughly a 175% increase in valve failures, thrown rods, and other mechanical issues. Not to mention the increase in lubricating complexity, and more bearings to score and spin. The higher rpm's this will operate at will also wear out the extra parts more quickly, and result in more catastrophic failures when something does turn loose.

To think that this bike won't be any less reliable than our current crop is just wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I do still think this is the wave of the future. But, I also think that in it's infancy it will be for the rich among us to own and operate.

Aprilla? I've heard they are much better than the Marchla bikes, but not quite as advanced as the Mayla models.

Sorry....couldn't resist....

You cleary have no idea, Aprilla make great bikes. High class ones as well, there are right up there with Ducati

I need a drool napkin to even look at them.
Right there with ya TBB!!

That thing is SICK!! :banghead:

Maybe they can shorten the suspension and have a go at dirt tracking. Maybe even give the Harley's a run for thier money.

and they are also alot slower...not up to speed with the new RSV mille's but the older ones 2000- 2004, were nice to ride, but not as solid on the power as the jap bikes that cost alot less to buy and cheaper for parts!

Like any street rider can really run any current sportbike to it's capabilities. The Mille is a perfectly capable, fast machine. Only pro's really tell the difference, or spec sheet readers. I know a number of wicked fast Aprilias that have embarassed jap bikes before. Speed is not in the bike, it's in the rider controlling it.

And having twice the amount of moving parts won't make it less reliable?

You will have roughly a 175% increase in valve failures, thrown rods, and other mechanical issues. Not to mention the increase in lubricating complexity, and more bearings to score and spin. The higher rpm's this will operate at will also wear out the extra parts more quickly, and result in more catastrophic failures when something does turn loose.

To think that this bike won't be any less reliable than our current crop is just wrong.

So how do 4 cyl streetbikes rev to the same types of RPMs and survive for 50k miles or more?

Don't get me wrong, I do still think this is the wave of the future. But, I also think that in it's infancy it will be for the rich among us to own and operate

Now this I can agree with more. It's infancy is the weakness, not the # of cylinders.

Just discussing here not arguing :banghead: